Hi from far North Idaho

View attachment 1672944
View attachment 1672945 Wow how exciting! I like your methodical approach to marking your eggs for the incubator! A great way to find out for yourself what's what. I've never hatched any myself yet... I'm just not at a place where I can deal with an abundance of cockerels... or actually even one here in the suburbs. What will you do with any boys you get? I'd love to hear about the final outcome of all those different marked eggs. Good luck!!

The cockerels will be raised for several months, then put in the freezer.

In no way an expert in hatching but you ought to be careful with the water test. I've had 2 hatching Brahmas with "poor buoyancy" before lock in that turned out just fine...

Those big boned girls? Yea maybe. The hen also produces "scars" on her shells... extra calcium enough to tip the balance? dunno, but those 2 chicks just enlisted in the Navy.

I put the "sinking" in the incubator and one of them has hatched already. So, I'm not sure it's reliable at all. :) I do believe that water candling did help bring up the humidity level at the beginning though. I think light candling is much more reliable.

3 have hatched since last night (day 19) and I've got about 5 more piping. Sadly, one didn't make it out of the shell. I think the membrane got dried out. I'm not sure why though, because my humidity is at 80%. Here is the two that hatched out last night, and I've put into the brooder - they are Buff Orphingtons.
Hatching 2-15-19.jpg

3 have hatched since last night (day 19) and I've got about 5 more piping. Sadly, one didn't make it out of the shell. I think the membrane got dried out. I'm not sure why though, because my humidity is at 80%. Here is the two that hatched out last night, and I've put into the brooder - they are Buff Orphingtons.View attachment 1674624

Congratulations! :jumpy

3 have hatched since last night (day 19) and I've got about 5 more piping. Sadly, one didn't make it out of the shell. I think the membrane got dried out. I'm not sure why though, because my humidity is at 80%. Here is the two that hatched out last night, and I've put into the brooder - they are Buff Orphingtons.View attachment 1674624

Sorry for the loss but so excited for your two adorable chicks!:wee

Back
Top Bottom