Hi from Gilbert, AZ

Tarcyw

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
Hi! My name is Tarcy (not Tracy)

My husband, 6 year old son, and I are new to chickens and wow are they more interesting than we ever thought! Our chicks are a couple weeks old and we are bonding as they warm up to us and we get to see their little personalities. I love them already! We’re having trouble with one chick so my sister told me to post on here in the medical thread. Here is the link in case you want to check that out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eem-paralyzed-not-sure-it-is-marek’s.1368312/

We thought 4 chickens would be a good start so we now have 7 chicks. (My sister said that is called chicken math) We have my #1want which was a white Silkie, a tan Silkie, an Easter egger, a half silkie- half Easter egger, a Wyandotte, a half Silkie-half Bantam mystery, and a Mosaic-Cinnamon Queen. They are not sexed which will suck and we are pretty sure the last two are roosters.

I wanted chickens as pets and for the eggs. We’d talked about it before and also about keeping bees and other things we’d love to do if we ever move and have some land. Then I met a neighbor who has six chickens and realized I could actually do it here. I’m a little nervous for keeping them cool in the hot summers but I’ve done my research and I think we’re ready. Per my normal I jumped in, researched like crazy, and decided it was was perfect for us as (per his normal) my husband reluctantly agreed. By the time we’d picked them up and brought them home he was totally in. I love the idea of being as self-sufficient and zero impact as possible in whatever areas I can. My two brother‘s and my sister all have chickens and my sister is pretty experienced with it so I have some back up. -And according to a few YouTube videos we’ve checked out since we brought them home we are doing it all wrong because we did not build the coop before the chicks came home. It’s currently “unbuilt” in the backyard 😬. Any night the elves will get to it I’m sure.

I moved to Arizona from Minnesota to teach and hubby came here for college from Utah. I do not like the idea of the cold winters but I hate the summers here also and miss the lakes and greenery of MN so I’d like to move back someday to be near family since we now have a kiddo and no family near us. Most of all we’d really like to find some land someday. We like gardening, camping, thrifting, and visiting family at home. We have a small dog and two cats. I recently found out that I was allergic to my cats and dogs after constantly being sick since my son was born and we had to rehome our large dog, but I’ve grown up with more animals than I can count and can’t imagine life without them.

I ran across BYC a few times while researching to see if chickens would work in our life. I kept putting off joining until today when my sis told me to post what was happening with my poor little chick to see if anyone could help. I love all the threads and am sure I’ll be on here a lot.

Take care!

Back
Top Bottom