Hi from Mi

gmab

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 7, 2014
I have acquired an adult guinea fowl. I have him penned up right now outside as it is his first day here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Congrats on your new addition! My advice would be to get another guinea if he's your only one, if you can. They're very social and like to have their own kind to hang out with. They are very good watchdogs and excellent tick eaters. Be prepared though, they can get a bit noisy!

I would check your local craigslist, and maybe make a wanted post there. You can also try your local state thread here on the forums that NorthFLChick linked you to. You might also check with the people you got your original guinea from - perhaps they have more available.

I also wanted to let you know that guineas take much, much longer to imprint on a new coop and location than chickens do - I mean that you should pen them for at least six to eight weeks before you can be sure they'll reliably return. You'll also want to make sure they have a nice secure coop to sleep in at night to keep them safe from predators. They can sleep with chickens in a chicken coop if you also have chickens.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about Guineas (never had any), but definitly post on our Guinea link that NorthFlChick left you with and take advantage of our Guinea experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Guineas.

Back
Top Bottom