Hi from NE Georgia, new member.

After a decade, it's probably fallen our of calibration. I'd invest in a new one. Good luck with your hatches!
When they came from Estes, they hatched and were mailed. I got them to the Brooder 3 Full days after hatching, none were dead. They did not slow down eating and drinking for at least 6 hours. Seems kind of hard on them. Would love to know how to get more pullets than Roosters when hatching them out.

When they came from Estes, they hatched and were mailed. I got them to the Brooder 3 Full days after hatching, none were dead. They did not slow down eating and drinking for at least 6 hours. Seems kind of hard on them. Would love to know how to get more pullets than Roosters when hatching them out.
Shipping is hard on chicks and many times some do die. Glad yours survived though. There is a theory, along with an experiment done a long time ago with Leghorns. They hatched eggs stored at very cool temps, something like 40 degrees for 1 week. And a batch of eggs stored at 70 degrees for a week. They found that the cooler eggs produced higher amounts of pullets, and the warmer eggs hatched higher amounts of cockerels. Eggs aren't Gender specific until incubation starts, and they believe that temp influences the need for more males or more females in nature. So....experiment and let us know how it goes!! :D

Back
Top Bottom