Hi From NH

ngrybrd

Hatching
5 Years
May 27, 2014
Hello All,
I got my wife chickens for Christmas, and it has been a blast. we got the chickens in two "batches". First, the day after Christmas we got three Rhode island Reds, and three Barred Rocks. they were the cutest most lovable little chicks They were finally big enough to go outside in April. so i built them a coop and a run. Ill have to figure out how to post pictures. At the end of February, the silkies we wanted arrived at our local feed story so we went to pick some out. but when they told us they were straight run because sexing them is impossible, we were a little weary. We bought six silkie chicks and two Polish crested chicks. Unfortunately the silver polish crested passed away at about 4 days old. it was very sad but, to keep my wife's spirits up, and to help her get a grasp on the turn around poultry tend to have, we went out the next day and got two leghorn chicks, or so we thought. after about a month one leghorn started looking suspiciously like an eagle, no comb, a big beautiful hooked beak, very regal looking. then after about another month, her cheeks started getting puffy and finally, its now very evident that we inadvertently got ourselves an Americauna. and she just beautiful. So we are very happy with our little flock so far.

As for the silkies, two are definitely crowing, and i believe of the 6, 5 of them have the typical rooster head feathers, which is incredibly disappointing because they are all so lovable, and we hate to have to get rid of 4 of them, but buying 48 more chickens just to have the right ratio is out of the question.

right now we are in the stages of trying to introduce the two flocks as peacefully as we can. I made a temporary coop out of an old shipping crate i got from work, with chicken wire on one side butted up to our other coops run so they can see each other. I have been reading on here an awful lot getting answers to all the great mysteries chicken pose to us. but ive come up with a few questions that just have me puzzled and i cant find answers for. Ill post them in the proper area forums though. just figured id say hi in here first.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Please make yourself at home and we are here to help. Sorry to hear about your lose!:( But, it sounds like you've got a lot of happy birds! I'm also introducing two separate groups of chickens right now. Be sure to check out the helpful links attached. Again, welcome!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock
http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/04/adding-to-established-flock-pullet.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/06/integrating-new-flock-members-playpen.html

Hi, thanks for the welcome, and the links, a couple of those were actually where i got the info to build a separate area where they could see each other but live separately. they seem to be inspecting each other quite a bit so i think itll work out ok. this way they have a chance to get a little bigger so they have a fighting chance in joining the pecking order without injury. i raised both sets since chicks so they've been essentially quarantined their whole life so the health issue isnt a concern, just the pecking order thing, they are just about two months apart. so i think a month in the temporary coop will give them the time to reach the same size as the older birds, and all that time interacting through the hardware cloth, they'll already know each other. ive spent hours researching this so no one gets hurt and its seamless as possible.

Welcome to BYC! Silkies can be difficult to tell the difference between sexes. I found on my Silkies the roosters have a raised almond shaped comb and the pullets have a flatter longer comb if that makes sense. Good luck to you!

ya they have mostly , i guess the technical term would be a walnut combs which is kind of almond, bulbous shaped, which from my research is the silkie standard, even hens, but they do come in several types of combs. of the two that are definitely crowing, one has a bulbousy comb, but the other has a standard looking single comb. the give away i got are the long flyaway stremers on the backs of their heads. but ive also read that some times young silkie feathers coming in can look like that until their adult feathers come in. so its really not definite until they are around 5 months or so. and crowing being the obvious giveaway

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck combining your flock, hope it goes smoothly! Sorry it looks like most of your silkies are roos, if you get impatient you can have them DNA sexed via feathers, if you do 5 or more at the same time this company does them for about $10 each. http://www.accu-metrics.com/avian.php

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you are doing a great job and separating but introducing them from behind wire. This is exactly how it is done. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Enjoy your Silkies and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom