Hi from North Carolina!

Ah! There are lots of other lovely "local" NC members to help you on your journey as well! @Party_Chicken is quite knowledgeable, and @3KillerBs even has some beautiful started birds for sale right now! Welcome!
Welcome! Chickens are a great starter bird I would get some experience with chickens before you go into ducks. Oh an chipmunk I’m in Virginia but close to NC. ;)

Welcome!

:frow from Moore County in the Sandhills.

Unless you're up in the coolest part of the mountains and subject to those intense winter winds I knew when I spent a couple years in Boone and Deep Gap, I strongly recommend an Open Air style coop for this steamy climate.

Here are a couple articles for you to look at:

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care
Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Space is critical. Crowding causes many issues that could easily be avoided by giving the birds some extra room.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
These numbers are *guidelines* rather than hard and fast rules -- and there is a much more nuanced take here -- but they're a good starting point for a beginner.

Welcome!

:frow from Moore County in the Sandhills.

Unless you're up in the coolest part of the mountains and subject to those intense winter winds I knew when I spent a couple years in Boone and Deep Gap, I strongly recommend an Open Air style coop for this steamy climate.

Here are a couple articles for you to look at:

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care
Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Space is critical. Crowding causes many issues that could easily be avoided by giving the birds some extra room.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
These numbers are *guidelines* rather than hard and fast rules -- and there is a much more nuanced take here -- but they're a good starting point for a beginner.
Thank you so much! I’ll be sure to read those articles. I really want to set them up to be comfortable and happy!

Awesome! Once I’ve figured out what species/breed/numbers I’ll definitely do that! I’m reasonably handy, but a freestanding building is a bigger project than I’ve taken on before!

A coop is an ideal first project. As long as it stands up safely, the chickens/ducks don't care what it looks like. ;)

A hoop coop is often considered the easiest and least expensive build.

Hoop Coops

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-tractor.69336/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-coop-brooder-with-roll-up-sides.75720/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-biddie-bordello-a-hoop-coop-run-combo.72189/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/permanent-hoop-coop-guide.47818/

Thank you so much! I’ll give these a read (and take copious notes)!

Hello all!

I am just starting my backyard flock journey. I’m currently deciding whether to keep chickens or ducks, and trying to learn all I can to be able to care for them in the best way possible!

I found this lovely community because it seemed like every time I googled a question, the best answers were found here! I’m really excited to learn from so many experienced keepers. Thank you all for sharing your expertise and passion!

I’m not new to animals, but very much new to birds. I currently have geckos, newts, fish, and invertebrates, along with two spoiled rotten cats.
Welcome to BYC!! Very cute profile pic! ☺️

Back
Top Bottom