Hi from QLD Australia

welcome-byc.gif

Hi guys, I have just candled eggs (day 15), Now I have never incubated eggs - on day 7 I was pretty sure one had a 'blood ring', but left it as I didn't trust my judgment, same egg today is much clearer then all the other eggs. It has some visible veins and I can see a black dot. Should I remove it?? I feel I should, but never having hatched before I am not 100%. Thanks for assistance!!

By day 15, this egg should be fairly developed and not just a thin line like a blood ring might. BUT...you don't have to remove any eggs if you are unsure. Plenty of us don't bother with candling and just let eggs hatch as they will. I used to candle all my quail eggs, but after so many hatches, I didn't bother and left clear eggs and blood rings be till the end.

Good luck with your hatch!!

Thank you. That puts my mind at ease, and I think it just what I wanted to hear. I will leave it - I am close to 100% sure it is not developing (blood ring day 7 + quite clear a week later). I was a bit concerned that it could have an impact on the healthy eggs? I have only candled at day 7 and again today, I won't be doing it again. But, it is so fascinating!
On a positive note - we did get to see one moving around :)
Thanks again.

Thank you. That puts my mind at ease, and I think it just what I wanted to hear. I will leave it - I am close to 100% sure it is not developing (blood ring day 7 + quite clear a week later). I was a bit concerned that it could have an impact on the healthy eggs? I have only candled at day 7 and again today, I won't be doing it again. But, it is so fascinating!
On a positive note - we did get to see one moving around :)
Thanks again.
There are stories of exploding eggs and rotting eggs in incubators, but generally it is safe to leave these eggs in there as long as they are not cracked. I do remove all cracked eggs just in case.

Great that you see movement! Make sure when you lock down, (stop turning the eggs) you raise your humidity to about 65% or 70% and open all vents for maximum oxygen. The chicks need all the air they can get. If you can't get your humidity up, you can put damp sponges in the incubator. You can open the lid until you see the first pipping. (when the chick pokes a hole thru the shell to breath.) After that, don't open the lid and let the humidity out until the chicks have hatched and dried off. Now don't panic when you see the pip and the chick sits there for 24+ hours. They are busy absorbing the last of the yolk and separating themselves from the inside of the shell. Too many people think the chick needs help and they go digging around in the egg to pry the baby out. Don't do it!! Just let them sit and when they are ready, they will zip out.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Number 5 hatched earlier this afternoon. Another has started to pip - most of the others (7 remaininf) have been rockin' & rollin. Will try to attach pic (not a great photo).

Back
Top Bottom