Hi from Redford, Michigan!

Check out @birdman55 . He is located in central Michigan. He has some awesome birds & very knowledgeable.
big_smile.png
Maybe he is near you.....?

Oh gosh, that's terrible about your door! I'm so sick of this weather. It's hard on everything. Spring is not coming soon enough...or not coming at all, it feels like. I think I'd like to hasten spring by getting an incubator and Welsummer and Easter Egger hatching eggs from a contact I have, but I have to wait a few weeks to months to do that. Unfortunately there's something I've got to do first, and even before that get's done, I think I have to cull some oddly aggressive hens from my flock. I've never seen birds gang up on the under-dogs to the point they hunt them, pounce on them, grab them by the head and neck feathers, then hang on and try to drag them to the ground and destroy them...and they're all HENS, I promise! and the poor underdogs mind their own business and avoid the mean birds like the plague. Then I've got to give peepers a try on the rest to see if they can be rehabbed for wound picking/cannibalism. If they can't be, what's left of winter is going to get a lot longer and I'm going to have an empty hen house because birds slowly eating each other at every opportunity because it's fun and tasty isn't cool. Maybe in that case I'll just try to get excited about trying again and get even more hatching eggs instead of just a few, then default to peepers at the first sign of winter next year. Reaching twenty degrees has been nice these last few days. Reaching freezing point is going to feel incredible. Everyone and everything just wants all this snow to melt.

Thanks everyone. I will be getting 8 rare chicks at the end of next week! I found a local breeder who takes extreme pride in what she does and has been awesome with all of my questions. I'll still add some ameraucanas later, but I am beyond thrilled to be able to start with some of the breeds she has. So very exciting! I've got my brooder supplies, just gotta set it all up.

Where you at redfordchick?? Did you ever find any quails?? I've been reading down thru this thread and haven't got to the bottom yet. Im looking for some quail. Built my coop for them last year and then had a bad hatch. From Munger.

Where you at redfordchick??  Did you ever find any quails??  I've been reading down thru this thread and haven't got to the bottom yet.   Im looking for some quail.  Built my coop for them last year and then had a bad hatch.  From Munger. 

No quail. Chicken math got me. I'm occupied for the time being. There was someone on Craigslist who had quail and said they always had eggs to hatch... I believe they were in Dearborn Heights or Dearborn.

What an odd coincidence. I've been into quail lately and I'm getting some jumbo chicks on Saturday from someone in Dover. I've been in contact with the Dearborn Heights breeder too though but I want the big tasty ones, not just the gorgeous ones. I might order from James Marie farms eventually too if I like quailing.

What an odd coincidence. I've been into quail lately and I'm getting some jumbo chicks on Saturday from someone in Dover. I've been in contact with the Dearborn Heights breeder too though but I want the big tasty ones, not just the gorgeous ones. I might order from James Marie farms eventually too if I like quailing.

My chicks are keeping me plenty busy! Do you want a couple roosters to process? lol.

My chicks are keeping me plenty busy! Do you want a couple roosters to process? lol.
Lol, I would do it. Hey, I thought I heard a rooster the other day. I wonder if it was one of yours. Of course, it could have also been a kid, lol. Neighbor kids have been very happy lately with the warmer weather.

No, I shouldn't volunteer to process roosters. I think I've got 2 Welsummer rooster-chicks and I know there has to be at least a few roosters in my last Black Copper Maran hatch to deal with. You can't have 9 chicks hatch and no males. Once I can tell for sure I'll try to list them, but then I'll be sending them to freezer camp myself.

But if you really needed your roosters gone I could do it. Maybe I could try my hand at actually plucking instead of skinning.

Lol, I would do it. Hey, I thought I heard a rooster the other day. I wonder if it was one of yours. Of course, it could have also been a kid, lol. Neighbor kids have been very happy lately with the warmer weather.

No, I shouldn't volunteer to process roosters. I think I've got 2 Welsummer rooster-chicks and I know there has to be at least a few roosters in my last Black Copper Maran hatch to deal with. You can't have 9 chicks hatch and no males. Once I can tell for sure I'll try to list them, but then I'll be sending them to freezer camp myself.

But if you really needed your roosters gone I could do it. Maybe I could try my hand at actually plucking instead of skinning.

You have black copper chicks? I paid for 2 and got none. I'm really bummed about that. Wish I could get a couple pullets. Yes I need my roosters gone. They are 2 Polish. I'm trying to find someone to take them. I hope I can figure something out soon.

Back
Top Bottom