Hi from SC!

CaptMom

Chirping
Feb 20, 2015
South Carolina
Hi!

I've just joined BYC. I haven't raised chickens before, but have done lots of reading, especially here and looking to learn more. I am in the process of building my coop and have chicks ordered for a mid April delivery (Buff Orps, and silver and gold laced Wyandotts).

I ordered my chicks from Efowl. Three of the chicks I ordered are RI Reds. Will the 3 breeds be banded or in some way discernible from one another? The 3 reds are for my neighbor and she wants to raise them herself.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to this new adventure!

Glory

YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TELL THE RIR. BECAUSE THEY WILL BE BROWN IN COLOR.
AND MOST OF ALL
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you joined us.

The BO's will be the big yellow gals - like the traditional Easter chick photos. RIR will be a golden brown. Both of these are solid color. The Wyandottes will be 2 toned. You can do a google search on images. I think you will easily be able to tell those breeds apart.

Good luck on your new adventure. Would love to see brooder photos of the flock when they arrive…Never tire of new baby chick pics.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. As the other members have indicated, you should have no trouble telling which chick is which breed. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built and in getting your chicks.

Welcome, you should be able to tell the breeds apart but if you talk to the hatchery, some will mark (sort of with a magic marker type marking) some of the birds if you ask.

Welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our wonderful community!

Those breeds should be pretty easy to tell apart. The Wyandottes will be a greyish/black color, the Orpingtons will be a lovely golden color, and the Rhode Island Red will be a reddish brown. If you're in doubt, look at the combs. Wyandottes have small, flat rose combs, while Orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds have single combs (bumpy/serrated). If you can't tell the Rhode Island Reds from the Orpingtons, remember that Orpingtons have whitish legs and skin, and Rhode Island Reds should have yellow skin.

Good luck with your future chicks!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, you should be able to tell those breeds apart, and if you call them ahead of time most hatcheries will mark the chicks in some way for you.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You will be shocked that although they all look alike, chickens can be distinguished from one another very clearly.

I can tell which is which of my three orpingtons

Back
Top Bottom