Hi from Spain

simonrodal

Hatching
Jan 2, 2016
Hi all,
I a chicken newbie. I bought 4 'rojos' last summer, and was given an assortment of 5 others. I'm not sure what they are - I think there is an Andalucian Blue, a couple of Galician hens, an American Bantam and one enormous white broiler.
For Christmas I bought my hens a cockerel and he's happily doing his work. Amazing how much they chickens have changed their habits after his arrival. I plan to start incubating eggs this month (once I've built an incubator).
Great layers, we get one egg a day from each and are getting really big double yolks.

I live in Cabo de Gata, Spain. Just 185 miles from the highest rainfall area in Spain, we have the lowest rainfall Europe, about 7 inches a year. Our climate is pretty much 'Arizona', but being on the coast, the highs rarely get above 35ºC (95ºF).

You've probably seen Cabo de Gata even if you've never heard of it. It's played backdrop for the spaghetti westerns (Clint waz here), Lawrence of Arabia, Patton, Indiana Jones, Exodus - to name just a few.

This site's proved a gem for me setting up my little flock, I'm looking forward to engaging and taking it to the next step. I want to start produced for meat and adding a few more birds, including turkey.

It's going to be fun!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to the best online community EVER! There's so many helpful and friendly folks here. There are a few Spain threads on here but they don't seem to get a lot of activity. No worries...you're welcome everwhere!

My parents went to Spain two years ago and absolutely LOVED it! It's their new favorite destination and they plan to go there next year as well. Are you originally from there?

Your flock is lovely!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a beautiful flock and they look they are really enjoying that cabbage head. Thanks for posting the pics. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Cabbage heads and chocolate croissants! I'm british but have lived here for about 30 years, my two very Spanish kids do many of the chicken chores, they love it.

Thanks for the welcome.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. You have a gorgeous flock! I just love your rooster. :love

If I " cluck, cluck, cluck " can I have some chocolate croissants? I love them. Lucky chickens. Welcome to Backyard chickens. So glad you joined the flock
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom