1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from the Mitten!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by anthrochick, May 5, 2011.

1. anthrochick

anthrochick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hello! I am raising my first half-dozen chicks and have learned ever so much from this forum. For me this project is partly for fun (and because I want eggs and fertilizer for the garden) and partly because I am a cultural anthropologist specializing in human-animal relationships, now studying various practices pertaining to backyard farming, including urban chickens.

Our brooder box is right next to our bed. Are you wondering how we can sleep through all the peeping? Well, we are using a Brinsea Eco-glo and at night as soon as the lights go out in the room we hear not a peep until the light starts seeping in in the morning. Then they gradually start peeping and rustling. Very cute. My husband has been opposed to the whole venture, but is starting to come around. I hope that continues!

We've had a rare break in the rainy cold weather so I am painting our coop today. Greetings to all.

Michigan

2. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    greetings and [​IMG]

best of luck in your venture into the wonderful world of chickens!

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    [​IMG] from New Mexico! You will find the culture here worth studying that's for sure!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your birds.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  7. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Welcome! [​IMG] You should find plenty of culture here to study, provided we enablers don't cause you to run away screaming. [​IMG] Just remember that you need to compost chicken poo before adding it to your garden.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Welcome.

Frankly, with any sort of respiratory issues.......... sleeping anywhere near chickens would create a 911 ambulance ride for me!!! The feathering dander and dust and the smell is, well, ......

Have fun and enjoy. [​IMG]

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Welcome to BYC. We're glad you joined!

10. anthrochick

anthrochick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks, all! So far they are not smelly and we aren't allergic. But they sure are growing fast, so they won't be in our bedroom for long!

I am hoping to get them legal... for now they are stealth chickens. We have a HUGE backyard (double lot) with 6 foot privacy fence on 3 sides, smaller fence on one side. The chickens will also be surrounded by a 6 foot dog kennel fence, though we hope to let them free range a little in the yard too. The immediate neighbors are all very enthusiastic. But we worry about other neighbors complaining. I have friends on farms who would take them if need be, but I am terribly attached already and would hate to give them up.

Right now the folks at city hall seem not to even know what the laws are--but I've looked them up. The city manager was asked by someone else if chicks were legal and he said "sure, as long as they are pets."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by