Hi from Wichita, Kansas!

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from GA where my husband and I have a full time farm raising and selling chemical free veggies, eggs, hatching eggs of many poultry...........chickens, guineas, turkeys, ducks and geese and also raise and sell milk goats and have pigs, burro and cow for company. You'll Enjoy your time here and if I can ever help you navigate BYC, please just let me know...

Hi, Kansaseq! I had noticed your location in other comments you made -- I look forward to "picking your brain" re: Kansas-chicken-raising!
Also, al6517: I love your "real men can cook" label -- my hubby's the cook at our house. I love a man who can cook!!

Hiya! Welcome to an addiction that will be lots of fun and bring you tons of joy!

Several other KS folks can be found on this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=248925

If
you ever mosey up this way, you can experience LOTS of breeds for yourselves! I have dozens of them and will happily discuss them all day long (that's why I love this place- no one thinks I'm nuts when I talk about my birds...or at least they're the same flavor of nuts, right?)

I think you would do very well to start with Barred Rocks, whereas Reds are generally not the lap dogs Rocks are. You'll be very happy with lots of other breeds, too- If you look at my column (link in my signature), there are several short articles to give you an idea of things to think about to start, such as fence height, coop type, etc. Feel free to email me with any questions you have.

I think this weather we're having is an excellent way to evaluate what you might want to do for Winter shelter, and the number of birds you'll want. If you have more birds, they'll be able to help warm each other, whereas a smaller number of birds means one will need auxiliary heat. Honestly, I think one ought to have a light and heat, but that's because both make my life easier and I spoil my chooks!

Welcome, and hope you're staying warm!

Back
Top Bottom