Hi Guys Im new to this forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by junedar, Feb 27, 2014.

1. junedar

junedar New Egg

Feb 27, 2014
    Greetings and Salutations!

I just signed up coz for a couple of weeks now I had been reading some of the posts here and found it to be very informative and very much pleasing. Just wanna share my experience so here it goes.

Im living in a city suburb ( Cebu, Philippines). Yeah, a bit kinda strange place to be raising some chickens but I managed somehow.

I always loved chickens , not only as a food but more like as pets. I do find them very entertaining to watch, lovable and oh those cute chicks.

I did tried to breed them before, years ago but unfortunately, my work had kept me busy for years and lost the time to care for them. Now that I got the time I bought 2 chicks( 2 day old) 2 weeks ago. unfortunately for some unknown reason, 1 week after, 1 chick died.

That day, the remaining chick was so lonely and chirping her heart out. Would follow me all day. My wifey and I even took turns to watch over her/him (the chick) to keep company and comfort. But also to prevent the chick from chirping so much coz its so loud. The chick would roost in my wifes foot.

The following day, I decided to get another chick to provide company for the latter. Was kinda afraid since there was a week gap between the 2 of them and clearly the size difference. Well, everything went fine. they are both happy and they are always in the company of each other.

PS. the chicks I have are Kabir (don't know if you had heard about it but they are considered to be one of those fast growing giant breeds that can grow to as high as 2 feet tall if im not mistaken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your chicks! They are very fun to watch [​IMG]

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

They are adorable! [​IMG]

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to BYC!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Please provide pictures as they mature.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Ozexpat is our go to person who has many chickens in the Philippines. You could pm him for information - he really knows the breeds of the area as well.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  8. junedar

junedar New Egg

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
    Oh didn't know that theres another member that is based here in my country. That's sure is nice to know.

Going back to my feathered babies, Im taking weekly pictures to see how fast they grow. Will post them from time to time.

9. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Kumusta junedar!
    I am somewhat familiar with Cebu. My MIL landed at Mactan a couple of weeks ago headed home from the US to Talisay. She lives near Camillia Homes and I remember well going to the market in Tabunok, but it is all gone now. I have spent time at the malls and at Carbon. I was married in the Municipal at Talisay 16 years ago and we have a mestizo (spelling ?) young man of 13.
    Welcome to the forum!.......hey, you eat balut?

10. junedar

junedar New Egg

Feb 27, 2014
    Sweet. so your in Cebu now, Talisay?
    Yay, were just prolly a couple of miles away. Im in Pardo. I know Camillia homes. Years before, we were planning to buy a house in that place.

Anyway, Im more in raising my chicks as a hobby. You do know most here raise chickens either for poultry or meat. But for sure, I have no plans of converting mine to fried chickens when they grow up. Just couldn't bear it. Im still trying to figure out how to keep them happy once they grow up since these breeds are kinda huge and needs lots of space.

Yeah, Carbon is a huge market ( even if its kinda dirty and stinky), you can find a lot of good and cheap stuff there. Well, as for the malls, I rarely would hang-out nowadays. Malls are like a huge and hypnotic money blackhole for me ( most specially if the wifey is with me) :p. But I do still sometimes drop by malls to see whats new.

Regarding balut, I don't have the stomach or nerve to eat them. No offense to those who like them, I do find it gross.

btw do you raise chickens in your place? Maybe one of these days we can grab a cup of coffee :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by