Hi I’m new!

Welcome to backyard chickens so glad you joined! I'm sorry to hear some of your chickens died. if you want more chickens you can order them right online there are lots of sites like my pet chicken metzer farms and lots of other sites but they are chicks and if you don't want chicks then you can try craigslist and you can get chickens that lay for free and there are chickens on there for 5 dollars they are really cheap I have ordered chickens off of craigslist and they are great.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: It must of been devastating to experience the loss of your two chicks. Providing fresh water daily and a lot of ventilation to dissipate heat are some of the optimum options I would mainly suggest. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Thank you all! I am in Arizona, our summer temps can get into the 120s. We tried our best with the young chickens but some just didn’t fare well and we learned how important good ventilation is especially in that kind of heat. During those summer months we just let them roam free all day and by nightfall they would go to their coop, sadly in the confusion of letting dogs outside and kids playing a couple of the young chickens were left in the coop for 20 minutes around noon and they perished, and one other was lost when my dog thought he was doing us a favor by grabbing its neck. It was a rough summer but our two surviving chickens are strong and hardy! Thank you very much for input on heat-hardy breeds!!! That is very helpful. I’m trying to decide if we’ll get chicks or add other mature chickens into the mix.

Hi and welcome to BYC. I think that any breed can live happily in hot climates but as experience has taught you - vigilance on our part is essential. For the future, these links may be interesting:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/788391/keeping-chickens-cool-in-summer-heat
Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom