Hi I’m new!

Erin Enchanted

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2018
Hi! I go online and read through BYC threads all the time so I figured I should probably just join and instead of googling my questions and spending extra time reading through old threads I’ll just ask in real time. Ha. I have two chickens, an Easter Egger hatched in April (I think?) and a Production Red that I got in May. We initially got 5 chicks (mostly EEs), but living in a hot climate sadly only 2 of our chicks were hardy enough to survive the summer heat. I would like to get several more chickens, especially now that I’ve experienced the pure joy that is finding a fresh egg! my kids love the chickens and play outside with them every day. My dogs on the other hand can’t be trusted outside while the chickens are free ranging.

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
smiley xmas hello.gif

Maybe this article from the Learning Center will be helpful to you...it includes a chart on climatic hardiness:
pickin-the-right-frickin-chicken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds.64518

Your profile doesn't show your general area, but if you have hot weather be sure to provide your flock with extra sources of shade (natural or man-made), extra water, cooling treats and plenty of ventilation in the coop.

Best of luck to you!

Top Bottom