Hi I’m new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Erin Enchanted, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Erin Enchanted

Erin Enchanted In the Brooder

Dec 11, 2018
    Hi! I go online and read through BYC threads all the time so I figured I should probably just join and instead of googling my questions and spending extra time reading through old threads I’ll just ask in real time. Ha. I have two chickens, an Easter Egger hatched in April (I think?) and a Production Red that I got in May. We initially got 5 chicks (mostly EEs), but living in a hot climate sadly only 2 of our chicks were hardy enough to survive the summer heat. I would like to get several more chickens, especially now that I’ve experienced the pure joy that is finding a fresh egg! my kids love the chickens and play outside with them every day. My dogs on the other hand can’t be trusted outside while the chickens are free ranging.

2. BantammChick

BantammChick Songster

May 8, 2017
    drone flying!
    :frow:welcome Sorry about your chickens! You may have to find more heat-hardy breeds. I have found that the easter egger is not very heat-hardy, but the barred rock seems to deal with it well enough. I live in missouri, and it seems that the barred rock, and dominque seem to be fine when the temp rises.

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Crossing the Road

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I feel your pain regarding untrustworthy dogs with chickens. The boy in my avatar will never be allowed off leash around the chickens.

4. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Hiya :frow
    Nice to meet you!
    :welcome

5. N F C

N F C Wind? Bah!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    smiley xmas hello.gif

Maybe this article from the Learning Center will be helpful to you...it includes a chart on climatic hardiness:
    pickin-the-right-frickin-chicken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds.64518

Your profile doesn't show your general area, but if you have hot weather be sure to provide your flock with extra sources of shade (natural or man-made), extra water, cooling treats and plenty of ventilation in the coop.

Best of luck to you!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I can relate to summer heat...spring heat and fall heat. Actually, we only have summer and winter lol.

7. BigATC

BigATC Songster

Jun 26, 2017
    Spokane County, WA
    Welcome to our flock! I mail ordered 15 chicks last Aug and ended up with 20! I hadn't even started and the "chicken math" has caught up already. Sorry about your birds an hope you find what you need. There are some good articles here about helping birds out in the hot areas of the country.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

And not much 'winter'. :lau

9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Set 40 eggs Jan. 2!

Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock!
    This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops
    BYC has an APP

10. Chullicken

Chullicken Songster

Apr 10, 2016
    Dorchester, NH
    :welcome:celebrate:woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: