Hi I’m new!

Erin Enchanted

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2018
Hi! I go online and read through BYC threads all the time so I figured I should probably just join and instead of googling my questions and spending extra time reading through old threads I’ll just ask in real time. Ha. I have two chickens, an Easter Egger hatched in April (I think?) and a Production Red that I got in May. We initially got 5 chicks (mostly EEs), but living in a hot climate sadly only 2 of our chicks were hardy enough to survive the summer heat. I would like to get several more chickens, especially now that I’ve experienced the pure joy that is finding a fresh egg! my kids love the chickens and play outside with them every day. My dogs on the other hand can’t be trusted outside while the chickens are free ranging.

:frow:welcome Sorry about your chickens! You may have to find more heat-hardy breeds. I have found that the easter egger is not very heat-hardy, but the barred rock seems to deal with it well enough. I live in missouri, and it seems that the barred rock, and dominque seem to be fine when the temp rises.

smiley xmas hello.gif

Maybe this article from the Learning Center will be helpful to you...it includes a chart on climatic hardiness:
pickin-the-right-frickin-chicken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds.64518

Your profile doesn't show your general area, but if you have hot weather be sure to provide your flock with extra sources of shade (natural or man-made), extra water, cooling treats and plenty of ventilation in the coop.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom