MimiRatt

Chirping
Jun 22, 2022
I started raising chickens last year, maybe nine months ago, and it’s been an adventure with a lot of ups and downs. I love it, overall.
We have four hens and a rooster, three Rhode Island reds, two black australorpes (I am sorry, I have no clue how to spell that). We also have fourteen chicks in a brooder (black Jersey Giants and brahmas) and another sixteen on order (olive eggers, Easter eggers, and a few RIR hens).
We had sixteen up until this last heat wave, but the heat killed eleven unfortunately. We were away from home for a day and don’t have an automatic door for them.
We started raising them mainly for the eggs, but they’re so pretty and my kids love them so much. We like to take the extra eggs and sell them at my husband’s work and that covers the feed costs. I’m excited to have the big chicken breeds. I’ve read a lot about them and see they’re usually very docile and chill around people. I also read that they’re bodies are more adept to cooler temps so I’m trying to figure out a way to cool off the coop when we’re away. I think we’ll add a few more vent holes and add an automatic chicken door.
I’m not very active or outdoorsy, unfortunately. I play a lot of video games and like to cook, so when we got our first chickens I was forced to go outside and get some fresh air and sunshine for a little bit every day. What a way to beat depression, amirite?
I’m a stay-at-home mom of two, a four year old girl and a two year old boy, and have two dogs, a Boston terrier-blue heeled and some sort of chupacabra.
I’m so thankful I found this community. Every time I have a question I have to search it’s this community that has the answer, so I decided to join up! I’m glad to be part!

Last edited:
I started raising chickens last year, maybe nine months ago, and it’s been an adventure with a lot of ups and downs. I love it, overall.
We have four hens and a rooster, three Rhode Island reds, two black australorpes (I am sorry, I have no clue how to spell that). We also have fourteen chicks in a brooder (black Jersey Giants and brahmas) and another sixteen on order (olive eggers, Easter eggers, and a few RIR hens).
We had sixteen up until this last heat wave, but the heat killed eleven unfortunately. We were away from home for a day and don’t have an automatic door for them.
We started raising them mainly for the eggs, but they’re so pretty and my kids love them so much. We like to take the extra eggs and sell them at my husband’s work and that covers the feed costs. I’m excited to have the big chicken breeds. I’ve read a lot about them and see they’re usually very docile and chill around people. I also read that they’re bodies are more adept to cooler temps so I’m trying to figure out a way to cool off the coop when we’re away. I think we’ll add a few more vent holes and add an automatic chicken door.
I’m not very active or outdoorsy, unfortunately. I play a lot of video games and like to cook, so when we got our first chickens I was forced to go outside and get some fresh air and sunshine for a little bit every day. What a way to beat depression, amirite?
I’m a stay-at-home mom of two, a four year old girl and a two year old boy, and have two dogs, a Boston terrier-blue heeled and some sort of chupacabra.
I’m so thankful I found this community. Every time I have a question I have to search it’s this community that has the answer, so I decided to join up! I’m glad to be part!
Welcome to byc. I'd recommend a secure run, if your set on getting more chickens . I cannot imagine being locked in a coop during the summer.
That’s on the priority list. After we get the next batch in august we should have thirty-five and I have a plan on building a large run next to the coop with an automatic door opening into it. I’m hoping we get it done soon, but though it’s on the list, there’s a few other things above it.

Hi!! I've been a member for about a year and everyone has been so helpful. I've got quite the brood in a range of ages and then started working with bantams so we've got an 8 year old rooster all the way down to 8 week old silkies. 💜

Back
Top Bottom