Hi! I’m new.

Brooke__V

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2023
:jumpy Good morning!
I have 2 ducks Peking and mallard rescues.
2 hens about a year old.
Silkie and duck eggs in an incubator and day 3 of 3 silkies hatched. The incubator and hatching and silkies are new. I’m concerned one doesn’t look as fluffy as the others and unsure how to get them to eat. My goal of joining here is to make friends with folks that like the same things I do and have a place to ask questions and gain knowledge rather than be all over the internet. Thank you! Have a good day!

:jumpy Good morning!
I have 2 ducks Peking and mallard rescues.
2 hens about a year old.
Silkie and duck eggs in an incubator and day 3 of 3 silkies hatched. The incubator and hatching and silkies are new. I’m concerned one doesn’t look as fluffy as the others and unsure how to get them to eat. My goal of joining here is to make friends with folks that like the same things I do and have a place to ask questions and gain knowledge rather than be all over the internet. Thank you! Have a good day!
Welcome to BYC!!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

It's important to help them get started eating and drinking just as momma would. When I get chicks out of the incubator, the first thing I do is gently hold the chick and briefly dip the beak in water and stand them up in front of the waterer. This helps the learn where water is and its important the drink before they eat. I also sprinkle starter feed on a paper towel in front of the feeder and I tap with my finger like I am eating. These methods usually get them started, sometimes you may have to repeat these motions on some that didn't get it the first time.

Enjoy your babies!

Back
Top Bottom