Hi! I’ve been giving my week old and 5 day old duckings probiotics in their water. Can it cause them to poop too much??

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
Good afternoon,

I have been giving my week old, and 5 day old ducklings probiotics in their water daily.
Is it possible that I am overdoing it?

They have been pooping like CRAZY! I’m well aware that ducklings poop A LOT, but in comparison to other ducklings we have had, these two little “poopers” seem to be pooping triple the normal amount.

Should I stop the probiotics completely or lessen the amount?
Or should I just give them plain water?
I’m worried about diarrhea.

I just cleaned their brooder last night at 11:00 PM, and this photo was taken at 7:00 AM (8 hours)
Literally every single time I walk by their brooder I’m picking up at least 10 poops!
Do you think they are old enough for wood chips yet? As of course it makes it much easier to clean. 😊

Right now I’m cleaning their entire tub and scrubbing it with Dawn dish soap twice per day, as I can’t stand for them to have to live in a messy brooder!!

Any suggestions? :eek:

Kindly,
Amy

P.S. Yes, they LOVE their toys and yes, they are spoiled! Lol!:thumbsup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 8
Just give them plain water. They don't need to be babied. They're old enough for shavings. I personally love using puppy pads for the first week - easy clean-up!
Hi!

Great. Thank you so much!
I usually use puppy pads, there awesome.
Since I started the plain water the extension poops stopped to normal extensive pooping! Lol! 😊

I would give them plain water. And also a waterer like this.

View attachment 3438916
This will work for first 3 days after that the beak grows to much and they can no longer dunk to clear the nares
They need deeper bowls but ones they can’t jump in to swim getting cold and wet
Any plastic container works that you can cut the lid with holes big enough for the head and neck
I use small butter containers then as they grow go with the next size up until they are older and can jump in but not get wet and cold
I used both for about a week

Attachments

• 70F2F4C2-C77B-4815-AF37-6B531294A875.png
    70F2F4C2-C77B-4815-AF37-6B531294A875.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • C2582021-50C6-42F0-AC9B-8007135FF41C.png
    C2582021-50C6-42F0-AC9B-8007135FF41C.png
    967.6 KB · Views: 8
This will work for first 3 days after that the beak grows to much and they can no longer dunk to clear the nares
They need deeper bowls but ones they can’t jump in to swim getting cold and wet
Any plastic container works that you can cut the lid with holes big enough for the head and neck
I use small butter containers then as they grow go with the next size up until they are older and can jump in but not get wet and cold
I used both for about a week
Whoops :oops: thanks!

Back
Top Bottom