Hi, I am a new member from Westchester NY

I did forget to mention, you can't really judge a crop during the day as they can feel funky all day long. Crops need to be checked first thing in the morning and should always be empty at this time.

You mentioned you found her today like this, so I assume she does indeed have an impacted crop. Generally they can't stuff themselves this fast so early in the morning. :)

Keep me posted and I surely hope you can get her back to health soon.
hugs.gif

Her crop was full and hard first thing this AM at 7. I think she may be panting because she is used to being outside where it has been really cold all winter and she is in the house now where it is 60. She is moving around a bit now. The legs are at least staying under her. I noticed your name is TwoCrows. Her father's name was Crow. He was a black pure amauricana. Or however you spell it. Her mother was a black copper marans. She is my only olive egger and just started laying. She laid four eggs so far. I hope she lives to lay many more. Thank you for your help.

Keep doing what I suggested. You can have the crop emptied in 24 hours. If you don't really drench the crop, the gunk won't move and will grow bacteria, which compounds into more problems.

Keep us posted! :)

Let us know about the egg binding check. If she is indeed egg bound, this will cause the crop to not empty. You will still want to get lots of water into her and don't feed her anything. You are only adding to the impaction.

Yay!! The egg passed!!

Keep us posted on how she is doing tomorrow. She should be good to go as long as her crop has moved throughout the night.
smile.png

Good morning everyone! Olive is doing well. Last night she bit me twice while I was giving her food and this morning she chugged water and had some of her food with organic blueberries on top. Still a little wobbly but her tail is up and she is on the mend thanks to all of you. You are amazing!

Back
Top Bottom