Hi, I'd like to build a sling in a box for a 13 week old chicken with injury and/or gout or other co

RareAvis

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2016
Hi.

I'd like to try simple, first: temporary or uncostly.

I was thinking sheet fabric? Do you know if this is a good choice?

And a plain carboard box, sturdy?

If this works and she adapts to it, I'll build a more permanent one; or a sturdier one.

Big Qs*

How far apart to cut leg holes and how big to make the leg holes?

How far off the bottom of the box should her claws rest, mid air, or ideal range?

How much 'slinginess' or 'hammock' like 'drop' should it have; how high should fabric come around her?

Hole for poop, or no hole as this may be easier to clean?

Is there a right or wrong way to try to introduce her to it?

Thank you!

~RA

Lol. Is it me?

I seem to be somehow discouraging replies in my two posts here on Backyard Chickens.

Maybe I go into too much detail?

My brain doesn't always work like everybody else's, I apologize If I sound awkward. I'm really just trying to help Sadie, my first rescue chicken, the best way I know how.

And I know so little that turning to you folks here at BYC seemed the best way to advocate for her...

If anyone reads this?

I'm also curious about B vitamin therapy: brewer's yeast v supplements v nutritional yeast: and how much? Based on weight or feed ratio? If I can source only tablets to begin, crush and put in water? How much? I think I'm going for ribloflavin thiamine; possibly B12 {cobalamin} possibly other Bs... but oif I can find only full spectrum B supplement to start, human style, may I start with this? I live in the middle of nowhere; will have to source Brewer's yeast elsewhere or online; right now, Sadie goes with me when I travel as she hates being alone {Don't blame her} so shopping long-distance is challenging, to say the least.

I've seen several threads on this, here: I'm not sure of the protocol: every forum has different customs regarding bumping old threads, and I certainly do not wish to ruffle any feathers.

:)

Thank you...

B vitamin therapy for chicken w/ limp and/or deficiency and/or injury

Yes: We're working with a vet; nothing seems to be efficacious and I'm seeking help from the real experts: you guys who are in it and who care, every day of your lives.

Thank you

~RA & Sadie, the super chique, who wants to live.

Sorry I don't know the answers to your questions. I know lots of people recommend a vitamin/ electrolyte mix in their water, like Save a Chick brand and similar.

I have seen all the threads, I was simply seeking reassurance that I'm doing the right thing, and that my plan is sound, and details confirmed on the holes issue.

I guess? I was hoping for someone to hold my hand.

I MAY need to try a splint again, too.

Curled under toe.

The vet has done this two times already; now it's my turn; closed on Saturday and she just got a little worse since I last saw him about a ten days ago.

I am, for the first time in my life, completely alone; not a human in sight, no one here, lost my father a year ago, my mom a year before that: young, I'm still in shell shock; moved to a new town in new state, no friends; no contacts; work from home; no feedback, no social support: I don't see humans for days on end or weeks or months; I am worried and just wanted support in this process from someone who has done it: dealt with this stuff. From B vitamins to splint to feeling insecure to slings to not freaking out.

I'd be glad to talk or walk a human who asked me through making a souffle, or bouillabaisse.

Sure, there are a million recipes out there, but having a chef/restaurateur with a proven track record guide you through the process the first time is a huge help; it sets one's mind at ease. It's a human kindness.

I have SO many Qs: all related, but none answered but anyone who's been through it.

I can read; I can't read minds.

Experience matters; I was hoping for help; I know what it's like to give it and to receive it; and in my experience, the personal touch ensures positive outcomes where the instruction manual leaves room for errors of interpretation.

I would not ask a Q without doing due diligence; I've researched everything I'm asking questions about; now I seek human guidance.

Truth.

I'd never met a chicken until 4 weeks ago. Never held one, never saw one up close. Not a living chicken. Not once.

It is nerve wracking to think her life is in my hands, and I have no one to bounce ideas off of, or say, "good job," or "Welp, no, not exactly, i see you misinterpreted that and I understand how you may have concluded that as a hyperliteralist, but actually, you're overthinking it, and this is what you want to do..."

If anyone needs help opening a restaurant or cooking for their rockstar idol, I'd be honored to help. Can do. Quite competently, and to acclaim.

A baby chicken, hurt or injured, unsure of diagnosis, treatment, etc? Nope. No idea.

I'm just a human seeking human help for a chicken baby who is stellar and wants to live, and who needs me to make decisions for her that may mean life or death, while having zero experience to back me up.

Last edited:
I can already tell you're going to do a great job. :)

The art of this whole chicken thing (and life in general) is making mistakes and learning from them.

I've never made a sling myself, so the best I can do is direct to toward the others who have.

I can tell you this..... As you stated in your above post, you're over thinking it.
hugs.gif

We're all here for you! Just take a deep breath and take it one step at a time.

MrsB

I made this for a chick that was having issues standing and walking. It's crocheted. I just crocheted the part around it then two rows under to go between it's legs. It should work for an older chicken or you could do the same with fabric

Back
Top Bottom