Hi! I'm new here to BYC!

Melissa_in_GA

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
My name is Melissa, and I live in an HOA community (ugh) in North Georgia. Thankfully, we live in the back of the neighborhood, bordering the Chattahoochee River, and have tolerant neighbors! I have a few questions to ask, but first, some background:

1. My husband put in a 40' x 40' garden in our backyard last year. It's bordered by a minimum of 4.5' hog wire. Some areas are higher, since he had to add a retaining wall because the land is wooded and sloped.

2. This year he has had a terrible time with cutworms, wireworms, hammerhead worms and aphids. Somewhere along the line I suggested getting chickens to eat the worms and add valuable fertilizer to add to our composter. He resists the idea because: a) we are in an HOA community. b) we have two Labradoodles, one that can jump the fence, one that can't. We also have two cats. One could conceivably eat a pullet.

So my questions are: Are there layers that are quieter than others? Is there a way to incorporate a coop into the garden so the girls can free-range the garden and eat the bugs? Are these the types of insects the chickens would eat? Is this a worthwhile investment? (We are preppers, by the way). And finally, how would you fit a coop into a 40x40 area, with the eastern wall bordered by forest, and the northern and southern areas being neighbor's property?

Thanks for the advice! I'd REALLY like to add some chickens to the yard, some fresh eggs to my fridge, and thumb my nose at the HOA at the same time.

Welcome!

So my questions are: Are there layers that are quieter than others?

Depends on the individual bird.

Is there a way to incorporate a coop into the garden so the girls can free-range the garden and eat the bugs?

Chickens and garden are mutually exclusive. Can't have both at the same time in the same place. Chickens will win. However, chicken turning garden into surface of the moon in winter months will go very far in bug control the following year.

Are these the types of insects the chickens would eat?

Not sure... but what they don't eat they will often kill scratch or pick apart anyway just to see if it is eatable.

Is this a worthwhile investment? (We are preppers, by the way).

Up to you!

And finally, how would you fit a coop into a 40x40 area, with the eastern wall bordered by forest, and the northern and southern areas being neighbor's property?

Also up to you.
wink.png

Are there layers that are quieter than others?
I've found Ameracaunas to be fairly quiet, but as silkiechicken stated, it depends on the bird.

Is there a way to incorporate a coop into the garden so the girls can free-range the garden and eat the bugs?
You could completely gate up the garden. Keep in mind that the chickens will destroy the garden. They scratch it up and eat the crops. We also completely free-range our chickens, and then keep them OUT of the garden.

Are these the types of insects the chickens would eat?
They will eat pretty much anything from grasshoppers to bees to Japanese beetles. There are still some that they will not eat, however.

Is this a worthwhile investment? (We are preppers, by the way).
It depends if you make it one. If you spend a bunch of money on feed, etc., and then get a few eggs, then no. If you invest money in a bunch of good layers and buy good quality yet cheap feed, and then sell the eggs you don't need and eat the chickens that don't lay, then hopefully yes.

And finally, how would you fit a coop into a 40x40 area, with the eastern wall bordered by forest, and the northern and southern areas being neighbor's property?
It depends on how many chickens you expect to get.

welcome-byc.gif
from So Cal. I totally agree with the previous posts. Veg gardens will need to be off limits if they are to mature and give fruit. Sounds like your yard could nicely fit a 6 x 12 run- space enough for 3 or 4 chicks and possibly 12-15 eggs/week depending on the breed. Check out the breed quiz- what chicken is right for you at mypetchicken.com. I havent a clue what all those worms are- but my garden is now completely free of earwigs/pincer bugs!

Back
Top Bottom