Hi im new Pfingston88

Good morning and welcome to BYC. Raise and secure the heat lamp, lower bulb size and gradually wean them from the lamp. If fully feathered they MAY be fine at 70 F - give it a try and see how they react. Huddling and plaintive peeping indicate that they are too cold.

Happy Thanksgiving & Welcome to BYC from Arizona, USA! This is the place to be for all your chicken news, connections to fabulous fowl folks and more!

I agree with the other posters about the heat lamp, warnings and recommendations. You could check out the alternatives to a heat lamp if you have the funds. Some are 1) brooder heat plate (I use this), 2) momma hen heating pad, or maybe 3) infrared ceramic bulbs that are used in reptile habitats.

I've also seen people in very mild climates/sheltered brooder or when chicks are almost all feathered out - use a small cardboard box and the chicks will huddle under that and be warmer together even with no electricity.

:welcomeHello from Nova Scotia and welcome to BYC! You’ve joined a great and resourceful community! Enjoy your journey!
We purchased a heat plate for our guys when they were about 3 weeks old and we ditched the lamp, best choice ever. The chicks loved it too. But if you have to use the lamp, we put a (very secure) hook in our ceiling and hung the heat lamp from that by a dog leash, it was much more secure than attaching it to something else.

Attachments

• D185D4A9-9CCF-45DF-BA83-5DD9AC4FEACF.jpeg
    D185D4A9-9CCF-45DF-BA83-5DD9AC4FEACF.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 1
Hello and welcome! :frow
I made my own brooding plate when my chicks were about 3-4 weeks old after landing at BYC. I used a heating pad without an auto shutoff wrapped it in a towel and secured it to a wire shelf like you get for your cupboard. I clamped it somehow to the cardboard inside the bathtub they were in, that was the first night they were quiet! I will never use a heat lamp for chicks again!

Back
Top Bottom