hi im new

antrim

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 1, 2014
My husband and I made an incubator out of a cooler. At 100 degrees the lights turn off but the temp continues to rise to 102 then quickly cools to 99 before it turns back on. Is this OK. Also humidity is at 45 I'm not sure where it should actually needs to be.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your hatch! You might try getting or making a thermometer that mimics and egg, that might give you a better idea of what the average temp in your incubator is, like TwoCrows said, the eggs take awhile to adjust to temps. Something like an Egg-O-Meter or a probe thermometer and a rubber ball or plastic bag of water, the hatching article talks about one using a water weasel type thing about 1/4 way down the page https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 and the Egg-O-Meter type thermometer http://incubatorwarehouse.com/eggometer.html

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

It depends on how quickly the temp is actually going down from 102 to 99, how long it stays at 102 and how long it stays at 99. The temp inside the egg does not change all that fast, nor does it cool down all that fast either. Is this still air, or forced air? If you are working with still air, then these temps, if brief enough, will probably be ok. But if you are using fans to make this a forced air, these temps might be a bit too high, as it sounds like the average temp is 100.5, which will be ok for still air, too high for forced air.

When you build homemade incubators, you have to experiment with them. So this first hatch is probably going to be a learning hatch. After this hatch, you will be able to work the kinks out with each hatch after this one.

Good luck with your hatch and enjoy all your future hatches!

Its forced air and only stays at 102 for less than a minute and never goes below 99 and only sometimes seems more like evening time does it climb that high the rest of the day stays at 99 to 100. Thanks for the welcome

Thank you Kelsi I read about the wiggler never heard of the egg-o-meter it's kinda cool...I have done so much homework on incubation that I am at times stressed other times I know I'm over thinking... I'm excited to get started I'm having a problem finding hatching eggs so it will probably be a test run for a while.

Back
Top Bottom