Hi, I'm vixentu!

vixentu

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
I raised Amerucanas a looong time ago, and we just got permission to have chickens here in suburbia, so I am looking for a breed that would make a good yard bird, I also have two cats, so I need to take that into consideration,
Anyway, glad to see such a great forum for fowl enthusiasts!
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC!

In my very limited experience, I'd recommend Andalusians. Mine hate the enclose run, insist on roosting in the rafters, fly like crazy, and never stop talking and moving. I'd bet they would make great "yard birds" and they are good layers too.

I raised Amerucanas a looong time ago, and we just got permission to have chickens here in suburbia, so I am looking for a breed that would make a good yard bird, I also have two cats, so I need to take that into consideration,
Anyway, glad to see such a great forum for fowl enthusiasts!
big_smile.png
id reccomend black australorps everything i here says there great layers and calm and docile

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Lots of choices, Australorps, Plymouth Rocks, Delawares, Wyandottes, Sussex are all nice brown egg layers and Marans or your Ameraucana or Easter Eggers for colored eggs thaty all seem to work in suburbia. And here are a couple of charts that compare different breeds http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html and http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf and don't forget to check out the BYC Breeds section for member reviews for a lot of breeds when you've narrowed down your choices

images

Welcome to BYC!

Kelsie has listed off lots of great breeds that are not only great layers but are friendly as well. I am fond of the Orpington breeds. Especially the Black Australorps. Very docile, friendly and great layers too. Very cold hardy as well. My girls are huge on lap sitting and I can't sit anywhere without a chicken on my lap!

Good luck finding that perfect chicken and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom