Hi my name is Dawn

sunflow584

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2015
My husband and I are proud new parents to 15 baby chicks! This is a first time a whole new adventure. So any tips will be helpful. We received our chicks yesterday. We have 4 buff orpingtons, 3 barred rock, 3 golden laced wyandotte, 3 silver laced wyandotte, 1 leghorn and 1 rhode island red. All are hens hopefully! lol We have started them with the chick starter and we are going to try them with chopped boiled egg and yogurt today. Cannot believe how fast I fell in love! But I do have a question about the chick grit do I put that separate or do I mix it?

Hi I have had my Chicks for 6 weeks , I'll tell you what I know. If they are eatting anything that can not be dissolved in water they need chick grit. So grass, egg , bugs . I only fed mine starter food for a month and nothing else, why do you want to give them yogurt and eggs???
Also the grit has to always be in a separate feeder so they can eat it as needed not in their food . You can also sprinkle it on the floor for them to peck at .
Also you should read the fermented feed forums it is a great way to feed chicks and will save you money and the mess of dry feed everywhere!!
Have fun and check their butts everyday!!!
Sheila
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/983653/fermented-feed-questions

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

I would stick to only starter feed for at least the first week or two. To keep things exciting you can just put a little wet feed in a bowl and they will think it's the best treat ever. No need for grit while they are on starter feed exclusively.

I have been reading that the boiled egg and yogurt is good for them and I have a couple runty and they say the protein is good for them

Boiled egg and yogurt don't require grit either. Yogurt was messy and it gave mine the runs, but I suppose it depends on the brand. Mix some boiled egg yolk crumbles with the wet feed and they'll go bonkers.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, Dawn. Glad you decided to join our flock. Definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there that will keep you from making beginners' mistakes. Also, there is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/feeding-chickens-at-different-ages.html on feeding chickens at different ages. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Hi, very nice to meet you Dawn - glad you joined the BYC flock. Apart from your "runty ones," I would just feed them the regular starter for at least a couple weeks. Chicks are like kids. Kids prefer the candy and won't eat what is best for them.

Hello this is Dawn updating. I gave them 1/2 a boiled egg mashed mixed with a tsp of yogurt and chick starter and a little water they loved it! And had no problems eating there plain chick food helped clear up some diarrhea and constipation. All happy this morning.! Thank You all for your incite. I am starting to believe everyone has their opinions and ideas, and it is all trial and error. Very hard to find a straight answer anywhere. But all opinions are welcome! Thank You all for the welcome and looking forward to all the great info!

Back
Top Bottom