hi my namely is emily

Emily87

Hatching
Jan 8, 2017
Philadelphia
This is the Baby duck I had to help him hatch that a pic of him or her this is my first time hatching the duck has a sac the shell still stuck should I do?? And do he needs food or water ??

Last edited:
So it's hard to make out in the picture but it looks like he has not absorbed his yolk sac fully. He was not ready to hatch and you 'helped' him too early. He needs to absorb the rest of the sac. You need to put him back into the incubator if you have taken him out. Leave him in the shell he still has left and put him into a cup with his head up and his feet down. The incubator needs to be kept very humid so that his yolk sac does not dry out.

I am at work so I may not be able to reply to your questions immediately so I will also tag @RavynFallen so that she can help too if I am unable to answer.

Last edited:
So it's hard to make out in the picture but it looks like he has not absorbed his yolk sac fully. He was not ready to hatch and you 'helped' him too early. He needs to absorb the rest of the sac. You need to put him back into the incubator if you have taken him out. Leave him in the shell he still has left and put him into a cup with his head up and his feet down. The incubator needs to be kept very humid so that his yolk sac does not dry out.

I am at work so I may not be able to reply to your questions immediately so I will also tag @RavynFallen so that she can help too if I am unable to answer.

X2

But I would also suggest very, very gently smearing some antibiotic ointment or vaseline around and over that yolk he hasn't absorbed... that will keep it from sticking to anything, and if it sticks it can rupture...

G’Day from down under Emily
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry that I do not have any experience with duck hatching but you are definitely in good hands with the advice you are getting.

I will just add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Best wishes to you and the little one!

welcome-byc.gif

Excellent advice from @Pyxis and @RavynFallen very nice of you ladies to jump in and share your expertise.

Good luck with your little guy @Emily87

Back
Top Bottom