Hi - new and needing your wisdom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lyriel, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Lyriel

Lyriel New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    So I know this is a bird group, but I have some of the same problems. My 3 cats love to wander and chill with me outside... however the hawks have been getting very forward and are checking them out... not ok. My kitties listened to me yell to get in the house. My youngest (and biggest) was pressed against a fence. I yelled shook a can with nails in until I got him under a table and safe inside. The hawks continued to scout... we love to chill outside and I don't want to be afraid.

I have been seeing, get a fake owl.
    Would it help if I put strands of lights all over? (Woot party house!!) with CDs around.. perhaps some windchimes for sound.

Am I getting somewhere?

Thanks so much!!!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest checking out the Predator and Pests forum regarding hawk deterrents, but you are certainly on the right track (minus the owl idea - I've seen a photo of a hawk perched on top of said owl).

Good luck
    CT

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Lyriel, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I have lots of cats on the farm and I've never lost one to hawk but I've often thought kittens and half-grown cats have to look pretty tempting to an owl or hawk. Hope you find a workable solution so you and the felines can enjoy the outdoors without the fear of being swooped upon. Best wishes!

5. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  6. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Welcome to BYC! This is THE place to be for anything and everything poultry related...
    Can't help with cats much but I hope ya figure it out!

Anyway, great to have ya here!

Make it a great day!

[​IMG]
    ~MW

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Could you make a large enclosed (top covered) run for your cats to keep them safe. Maybe put some things to climb up, tunnels to crawl through etc. to keep them occupied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by