Hi! New here but not to raising animals

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Crazy QuailLady, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Crazy QuailLady

Crazy QuailLady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2017
    Southwest Ohio
    Hi. I'm the Crazy QuailLady (Kathy Sacksteder). I've been involved with animal husbandry since I was a kid (many years ago). My brother and I raised chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons, and rabbits back in 4H, and later, I raised pharoah quail, button quail, guinea fowl, injured doves, a flicker, starlings, squirrels, wild rabbits, turtles, lizards, amphibians, fish, etc. I grew up walking distance from a nature center and raised and rehabbed wildlife for many years. I'm retired now, and to give myself something to do, I'm getting quail hatching eggs and incubating and raising them. I just adore them. I have coturnix, button, bobwhites, California valley quail, and possibly blue scale, gambel's, and mountain quail. I'm getting some red chukar eggs tomorrow, so I'm scouring the net to get as much info about them as I can find. The research is half the fun of incubating and raising these guys. I have help with the incubation. My dog, Jess (a golden retriever/lab mix) often hears the new hatchlings in the incubators before I do, and lets me know by being laser focused on the incubators and not being able to be distracted, and often goes to the incubator to try to sniff and see what's making the noise in them. Between my cats hopping up to watch the chicks and the dog bouncing up to get a look and sniff, these guys are turning out to be bomb-proof (not easily startled) They still don't like things moving above them, but that makes sense, since predators often come from above in the wild. I'm starting to babble, so I'll wrap this up. I'm looking forward to making some friends here, and I hope you're all having a good day.

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Hello and Welcome

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Crazy QuailLady [​IMG] Welcome!

You might want to check out the Quail Forum and post any questions you have there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Kathy, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Wavechickens

Wavechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2017
    Vermont
    Welcome

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Kathy even though I don't believe you are crazy at all. You just love what you have and what you do. The best reason to join BYC. Glad to have you here [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Kathy, great to have you here! Your animal experiences will be helpful to those members just starting out. Your dog Jess sounds like a great help!

1 person likes this.
  8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the big, happy BYC family! I am so glad you joined us, please make yourself at home. I hope you will enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

1 person likes this.
  9. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi, Kathy, and welcome to BYC -- so glad you've joined us!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by