Hi! New Member from NC

GoldeBantieMama

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hi! My name is Sandy. I live in Mocksville NC. I ordered day old hatchlings (Golden Laced Cochins) from Cackle Hatchery by mail order last year. I have to admit it.....I am a chicken addict. My husband and I constructed 2 coops with raw wood materials that we just had laying around, and fenced it in. They aren't the best looking, most innovative coops, but they serve their purpose, and my flock is happy.

I currently have 13 hens,
1- Black Cochin, "Henrietta"
7- Golden Laced Cochins (No names yet...lol)
2- Silkies (No names yet)
2- Frizzled Silkies, "Billy Idol", and "A.D.H.D"
and one golden laced something hen. (She was given to me, not sure what exact breed she is.) "Joan Jette"
and 4 roosters.
!- Silkie Roo, "Lucky" (the only one that didn't get eaten....lol)
and 3- Golden Laced Cochin Roos. "Cheif" is my dominant rooster. (I have just placed the other 2 on Craigslist. :)
& Just added to the flock, a 3 week old duck. :)

I have too many roosters, and they have started to fight, so I am trying to get rid of the other two. I actually tried to process, and cook one, but something went wrong. The processing part was pretty easy, although disgusting. I tried to bake it, and it was the worst, most rubbery chicken meat I have ever seen!!! Any ideas on what I did wrong?

I am on day 3 of trying out my new, homemade incubator, so I have 18 days to go. I have 10 eggs incubating. I hope they hatch. It will be interesting to see what they turn out to look like.

I hope everyone has a great day!!!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Coops don't have to look good as long as your babies are safe! You have a very nice assortment of birds! Love the names too. LOL

As for the rubbery rooster, LOL, they need to be processed with the least amount of stress possible or they go ridged. The blood really needs to be drained out and the bird needs to sit in the frig for at least 24 hours. If you cook them immediately, they will turn rubbery and tough. You might asks some questions in our meaties section on how to properly process and cook those roos...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

Good luck with your hatch!! And enjoy all your poultry adventures. Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch! Sounds like you have a nice colorful flock! Love the name "Lucky" for the roo you kept, he sure is!

Hi! My name is Sandy. I live in Mocksville NC. I ordered day old hatchlings (Golden Laced Cochins) from Cackle Hatchery by mail order last year. I have to admit it.....I am a chicken addict. My husband and I constructed 2 coops with raw wood materials that we just had laying around, and fenced it in. They aren't the best looking, most innovative coops, but they serve their purpose, and my flock is happy.

I currently have 13 hens,
1- Black Cochin, "Henrietta"
7- Golden Laced Cochins (No names yet...lol)
2- Silkies (No names yet)
2- Frizzled Silkies, "Billy Idol", and "A.D.H.D"
and one golden laced something hen. (She was given to me, not sure what exact breed she is.) "Joan Jette"
and 4 roosters.
!- Silkie Roo, "Lucky" (the only one that didn't get eaten....lol)
and 3- Golden Laced Cochin Roos. "Cheif" is my dominant rooster. (I have just placed the other 2 on Craigslist. :)
& Just added to the flock, a 3 week old duck. :)

I have too many roosters, and they have started to fight, so I am trying to get rid of the other two. I actually tried to process, and cook one, but something went wrong. The processing part was pretty easy, although disgusting. I tried to bake it, and it was the worst, most rubbery chicken meat I have ever seen!!! Any ideas on what I did wrong?

I am on day 3 of trying out my new, homemade incubator, so I have 18 days to go. I have 10 eggs incubating. I hope they hatch. It will be interesting to see what they turn out to look like.

I hope everyone has a great day!!!

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

All a coop and run have to do is protect your flock and
the most important thing is you are happy with it
smile.png

Enjoy your poultry ventures
D.gif