Hi! New to chicken-keeping--it's a challenge!

TolkienChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Hi! I'm new to keeping chickens, and it's definitely a challenge. You may have noticed my two posts about my poor little Buff who can't walk--that's our current problem. But I'm thankful for my three other young pullets who are doing well, so far!

I have an EE, a Buff, a Silver-laced Wyandotte, and a Barred Rock.

And so far I love how helpful BYC has been!

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am sorry about your chick. I took a look at your post. It doesn't look like spraddle leg, so the bandages are not going to do much good. The feet probably got like that from either the incubation process or her parents had feet issue and it was passed down thru the egg.

You could try some vitamins for her. Especially the B's E and Selenium. Something you can put in the water. A lack of these can cause weakness in muscles. Other than this, she may out grow this condition, at least to the point she can hobble around. Make sure the water and food are right nearby her and that she does not have to compete with other chicks to get at it. Chickens have incredible powers to keep living and going. Some live complete lives with deformities and genetic conditions.

Good luck with your baby, and I hope you can help her thru this difficult stage.
hugs.gif

Thank you so much! I have electrolytes/vitamins in her water, and she is separated from other chicks. Thanks for the encouragement--I hope that if it is permanent, she'll be able to get along fine. How much do you think she needs to be monitored?

Thank you so much! I have electrolytes/vitamins in her water, and she is separated from other chicks. Thanks for the encouragement--I hope that if it is permanent, she'll be able to get along fine. How much do you think she needs to be monitored?
I would just keep an eye on her all the time. You might also put a small mirror in there so she thinks she is not alone. You can also put a small stuffed animal or even a feather duster propped up in the corner, feathers down, so she has something to snuggle with. Make sure to give her a bit more attention than the others so she doesn't feel lonely. A good mental state will help to heal her quicker.

You could always put one other chick in with her so she is not completely alone and has some companionship.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the problems you are having with the one chick, glad the rest of them are doing well for you.

Back
Top Bottom