Hi New to chickens in Alaska!!

Urban Daisy

Hatching
Apr 29, 2015
Kenai, Alaska
Hi! My name is Barb and I live in Kenai, Alaska. My husband and I dove right in this year and have 24 chicks! Well, 22 but the last two are coming in found days. We decided to get a variety so we'd know which ones were good layers and which breeds we liked (for future years) so here is what we have:
4 Aracauna
4 Buff Orpington
2 gold laced wyandotte
2 silver laced wyandotte
2 white leghorn
2 brown leghorn
2 white rock
2 barred rock
2 black astralorp
2 cuckoo maran (coming in four days)

We are really excited! Hubby built a custom brooder box that is really big. I've had about 6 pasty butts to clean but I got a system down so the chicks don't seem to mind it. A couple of times they stopped wiggling when I was running the dryer on their bum so I thought I had squeezed too tight (eeks) but nope, they were sound asleep. :) Sweetest little things ever!!!

I've been lurking on this site reading as much as I could in the last few months leading up to our chicks. LOVE it so much. I get a lot of great answers here!!!

Welcome to BYC, Barb. Glad you decided join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) My family and I have visited Alaska on a number of occasions and love it there. You have a nice mix of breeds. All of the breeds on your list are cold hardy with the exception of the Leghorns. You will need to keep a close eye on them in the winter as their large combs and wattles are very susceptible to frost bite. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years, and they are very cold hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Hi Barb, welcome to BYC!

You have a really nice mixed flock, you'll get lots of eggs with your bunch. I like mixed flocks too, the different feather and egg coloring, and it's fun to see the different personalities of the various breeds.

It sounds like you're having fun with them (pasty butt and all). If you would like to connect with other members from Alaska, you can find them here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/84141/north-to-alaska
It may be helpful to get other Alaskans opinions on how to deal with your particular weather situations.

It's nice to have you here, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

welcome-byc.gif
Congratulations on getting your flock. Sounds like you are making a great Chicken Mom!

So glad you decided to join us. Enjoy the forums and your new adventure.

Hello Barb!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. It seems like you have a pretty good flock of girls. Good luck with them all!

Welcome to BYC! I admire your courage in diving in with soo many at once to start!! You definitely have a nice selection of breeds- ha, I'd like that level of variety in my flock.. How cold is it in that part of Alaska? Curious about how brahmas and other breeds with feathers on the legs & if they would do better up there..

Anyways, welcome to the flock!! Glad to have you here :)

Back
Top Bottom