Hi! New to Group & have 3 hens w/diarrhea

crystden

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Hi all! We have 15 hens, wyandottes, speckled sussex, americauna, barred rocks, brahma & one huge barred rock rooster who is NOT nice to us...

Anyway, they are mostly a year old, going thru their first moult, and first only a barred rock had diarrhea, she now seems to have lost some weight as well, and we've noticed that 2 other hens, who are moulting, have diarrhea also. is this normal for moulting?

we raise organically, so don't really want to give antibiotics; I've heard something about ACVinegar for diarrhea, or buttermilk, or epsom salts...any ideas? they are all together in a huge chicken mansion/yard & have free range often. thanks much:) I am just worried and don't want the whole flock getting sick...

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

Molting is very stressfull for them and can leave them open to other health problems. What exactly is going on with your flock I have no clue. It may just be stress from molting or it could be something more serious.

Keep an eye on how much their consuming by checking their crops at night when they're on the roost, they should be full. Also it's a good time to check for lice/mites. Take a flashlight and part the feathers on their rears and look at the skin, if they have bugs you will see the eggs. That would need to be treated or it will weaken them further.

I've used probiotic powder during times of stress and it really seems to help. I just sprinkle it over the feed. Or mix it up with warm water and make a warm mash with it and their regular feed, they LOVE that.

You can try ACV it would at the very least help to keep bacteria from growing in your waterer. Don't use it if you have a metal waterer, it will strip the zinc out and corrode the metal.

what all do you feed?

what bedding do you use?

what color is the runny droppings?
foamy? mucusy?

do they have any wheezing? any mucus from eyes or nostrils?

plain active culture yogurt or buttermilk can help with system upsets..
but if they have worms or cocci...they'll need treatment.

molt can be hard on them and can lower their immune system..

treatment for cocci is Corid or Amprol..or Sulmet..cocci can kill..
for worming..Wazine 17..tho there are other broader wormers..
Wazine (piperazine) is pretty safe and a one day treatment.

if possible..the best route is to take a fresh fecal sample to a vet for testing for worms and protozoa (cocci)..sometimes called a fecal float.
have they ever been wormed?

Last edited:
wouldn't hurt to check the crops..feel for a lump grainy feeling, or doughy mass.

make sure the feed is fresh and not gone moldy..in the bag or around the feeder.
is it new or different feed?

keep them warm and out of draft and wet.

extra protein and vitamins help with molt..but best to find out if they have cocci first.

I'm no expert... just trying to ask questions that might help someone with more experience help you.

Do your birds range?

How long has this been going on?

Have you checked the infamous "poo page"? www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 Although gross it is helpful in diagnosing issues. Hopefully it's just the stress of the moult and not anything more serious.
smile.png

Epsom salts would likely worsen things... it can be used as a laxative but I've never heard of it used to treat diarrhea.

Welcome! And good luck!
Laura

You can try ACV it would at the very least help to keep bacteria from growing in your waterer. Don't use it if you have a metal waterer, it will strip the zinc out and corrode the metal.

Big thanks to ella! Now I know why my drinker is corroding. I've been cleaning it daily with a steel wool pad. Is it harmful to my gals or do I need to replace the drinker?​

Thanks Ella! How much ACV? We use a 5 gallon plastic bucket. And, where do you get probiotic powder? any particular type? I used to be a lot 'closer' to our hends until the rooster became so ornery; it is now hard to catch any of the hens, but I will try. I feel very stupid as I don't even know what their 'crop' is...where is it?

Hey loralei, I would replace them. I had a lot of trouble with sour crop that cleared up completely when I switched to plastic waterers. The zinc they use to galvanize the metal can be toxic, although many use them with no problem.

Crystden, I'm not sure how much ACV, I don't use it. There are lots of posts on it though, do a search for it I'm sure you'll find tons of info. The crop is the pouch on the side of their neck/chest. Kinda like a cheek pouch on a hamster. It should be full in the evening and empty in the morning.

I use Probios brand probiotic powder and I get it at the feed store. http://www.probioticsmart.com/index.cfm?event=ViewItemDetail&storeitemid=26280#

It's
the same bacteria that's in yogurt, just lasts longer in powder form. Plus some of my flock don't like yougurt so the powder works great.

Back
Top Bottom