Hi new to keeping chickens

Sootsie

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
Hi where do i start, my daughter got some chickens last year after her son wanted one for a pet, and basically ended up hooked herself to the point of having 17. Myself, i went along for the ride one day when she went to pick up a couple more. i saw a little black silkie and bought it on the spur of the moment. Although a healthy chuck its never going to win any beauty contests and it was only after entering it in a local show on the insistance of my grandsons we discovered she is not quite perfect enough to show in the hope of winning. At the moment she is with my daughters chickens untill i can build a suitable coop and run in my garden and today i got a Light Sussex hen also residing at my daughters. I can only have 6 hens in my garden as i rent so i think i will do a little research into breeds before looking for anymore to ensure the best possible chance of eggs on a reasonable regular basis. I know Im more interested in rare breeds rather than your standard farm or hybrid but im new to all this so time will tell and i have a lot to learn.
D.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome i've got a lot to learn but this looks a great place, my daughter not a member yet but she is going to join soon as she gets a spare 5 min.
thumbsup.gif

Hi and welcome! My rarest breed is the mottled java. The feathers are as soft as silk, the softest of all the chickens I've had.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom