Hi new to keeping chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sootsie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Hi where do i start, my daughter got some chickens last year after her son wanted one for a pet, and basically ended up hooked herself to the point of having 17. Myself, i went along for the ride one day when she went to pick up a couple more. i saw a little black silkie and bought it on the spur of the moment. Although a healthy chuck its never going to win any beauty contests and it was only after entering it in a local show on the insistance of my grandsons we discovered she is not quite perfect enough to show in the hope of winning. At the moment she is with my daughters chickens untill i can build a suitable coop and run in my garden and today i got a Light Sussex hen also residing at my daughters. I can only have 6 hens in my garden as i rent so i think i will do a little research into breeds before looking for anymore to ensure the best possible chance of eggs on a reasonable regular basis. I know Im more interested in rare breeds rather than your standard farm or hybrid but im new to all this so time will tell and i have a lot to learn. [​IMG]

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Sootsie! [​IMG]

3. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hello from Indiana

4. Lady Marmalades

Lady Marmalades Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Brisbane
    [​IMG] G'day from another Newbie....There is so much to learn but I think we have found the right site Good luck with your flock

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Welcome from an imp in Washington

Glad you joined us. Is your daughter a member as well?

Imp

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi

7. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    [​IMG]

8. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome i've got a lot to learn but this looks a great place, my daughter not a member yet but she is going to join soon as she gets a spare 5 min. [​IMG]

9. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Hi and welcome! My rarest breed is the mottled java. The feathers are as soft as silk, the softest of all the chickens I've had. [​IMG]

10. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by