Hi - Newbie from UNY

Nebe

Runs with Scissors
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
So happy to have found your forum!

I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of chickens...it started with a purchase of 6 Silver Laced Wyandotte day old chicklets last April. They were in my kitchen for their first eight weeks....made the gradual move outdoors....and have been living in an embarrassingly spiffy house (courtesy of their "grandparents") with a fenced in run, and supervised foraging within our big fenced in garden ever since. No problems or hiccups...everything was fantastic...until a couple of months ago when a hawk managed to dig its way underneath the fencing. That was a reeeeally bad day.

Anyhoo... now we have 5 and I'd like to add some Golden Laced Wyandottes to the family.
I'm hoping to find someone local to purchase them from (Upstate NY - Southern Rensselaer County) and I'd be grateful for any tips/suggestions on how to merge the two flocks together as smoothly as possible.
I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from you pros! Thank you!
smile.png

Hi!!! Welcome! I live somewhat near you and work very near your area so nice to see another 'neighbor'!
smile.png

Oh, and I seem to be always hatching, so PM me if you are ever interested in chicks. I don't have any GLW though. Right now I have olive eggers in the incubator.
smile.png

Last edited:
Very nice to meet ya, Ghillie, Dawg, D-Roo, and John.. Thanks for the welcome!
smile.png

and hi there neighbor Featherz! I'm definitely in the market for chicks...I decided on the GLWs cos the SLW's are doing so well here, holding up to the cold with no problems and they're still laying BIG brown eggs even in the middle of January. And of course their temperament...they're so friendly which is important to me with little nephews and nieces visiting. I thought the GLW's would look pretty with their silver cousins running around the garden.
What breeds do you have, if it's okay for me to ask?
You have me curious about the olive eggers....I'm gonna read up on them today.
smile.png

Thanks again everyone!

Quote:
I have lots of different things - I played a lot of mix and match. Did have a GLW but a hawk got her. I have white leghorns (3) (not a good plan in this climate), RIR (4), SLW (1), EE (4), Light brahma (2), australorp (1), BLRW (2) and now the OE's I am hatching (24!). Oh, and four mille fleur d'uccle pullets.
smile.png
And an illegal cochin x roo. Haven't decided if I can keep him yet.
smile.png
My layers (EE, leghorns, RIR) are all still laying as well. Oddly enough my SLW is a mean chicken compared to my others. She's a brat!

Have to drive out to work in Latham this morning. All the way from gansevoort. Not looking forward to it, but need to work. /sigh.
sad.png

Quote:
Yikes...I hope the drive went okay for ya. It was horrible out there!

and I read that SLW's can be big meanies around other breeds of chickens...it's one of the reasons I'd rather not add Buff Orps to the family, even though they were my first choice. I wanted a very gentle, "pet-sy" kind of chicken but I'm afraid they'll get bullied to death by the big girls.
Can I ask.. what makes your cochin x roo not so legal?

Quote:
Hi and thank you for the welcome!
smile.png

Actually....I saw the area under the fence where s/he dug....it was fresh and there's no other possible entrance to the run. It's completely fenced in. No netting.
The hawk was hunting with a buddy...the buddy was sitting in the tree at the end of the run screaming at hubby as he was trying to get the trapped hawk out. So here we are out in the pouring rain with two screaming (and I mean SCREAMING) hawks, 5 hysterical hens, my baby Little Gray dead underneath the coop, and me just standing there unable to move sobbing like an idiot.
roll.png

and I said the exact thing you said....that musta been one desperate hawk...which I don't understand since we live in the country on ten acres and there are more small birds and rodents than you can shake a stick at. oh and the buddy still shows up daily...sits in the trees right next to the coop. Rotten bird.

Back
Top Bottom