Hi - Newbie from UNY

Quote:
All chickies are different! Lots of people hate leghorns but mine are sweet and follow me around like dogs.
tongue.png
So you could get a very friendly OR a very pushy buff orp! As for the roo, my neighbors have warned me against getting a roo. With 26 acres it's probably technically 'legal' but I like to keep good relations with my neighbors. So he's out in a coop way in the back with 8 ladies and we'll see if he's quiet enough to stay. So far he only crows in the coop and I don't open the pop door until 10. Neighbors didn't complain when I had guineas, so maybe they'll let him pass.
smile.png

Last edited:
aww....I hope he gets to stay.
smile.png

I'm glad this came up cos I had decided to get a GLW roo along with the girls and it honestly didn't occur to me to speak to the neighbors first. Hey...we've endured their oh so noisy dogs and children for years so they can suck it up and deal with a little morning crowing.
tongue.png
Just kidding. They're awesome people and I'm sure they'll be fine with it. We're not within the city limits and we're zoned RA so no issues there that I'm aware of.
Also..I wanted to ask you if you vaccinate your chicklets for Marek's?

Quote:
Well I always have purebred roos available for free since I hatch so much so let me know if you ever need one or two.... or three.. I am in town limits but also zoned agri so really not sure of my stand.I figure I can rehome him if someone complains - so far he's a nice roo.
tongue.png

I vaccinated my first chickies but not since. I may get a vial and do it myself, although I am not sure if I hatch enough chicks to use it all - I'd have to divide it up, etc. I'm a nurse, so I guess I can give shots to a chick!
tongue.png

Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif

But, GASP!!! No Buff Orpingtons! None of the sweetest breeds ever to walk the planet, unless they are broody in which case they could hatch you a cute little GLW???
th.gif
wink.png

-Die-hard Buff Orp freak.
lol.png

But in all seriousness, BOs are some very mild tempered birds, as chickens go. I've had them since I first got chickens, (one year? Two?) and I've never had an issue. The Barred Rocks will pick fights sometimes, and the RIRs are just plain stupid, but my Buff Orpingtons are the best I've had yet. If they go broody you have a problem, unless you WANT to hatch eggs. Personally, I jump up and down for joy when mine go broody.

Welcome

I have three BOs and they are the sweetest of the entire flock. The head hen is a twelve year old BO. She maintains order in the chicken yard but doesn't take nothin' from no one. But the rest of the flock is only 7 months old so I guess age carries with it rank.

Back
Top Bottom