Hi, Newbie here

Tell your holdout kids to do research on silkies before they give you an ultimatum . Silkies are a favorite with kids, they are generally docile but, not great egg layers. Because they appear so different than regular chickens, they tend to get bullied and feather plucked. They are not a rugged breed that can take whatever nature hands out. Due to their big crests and beards their vision is obscured. They are not flyers but, can jump high. They are pretty much sitting ducks for most types of predators.

I would advise they be kept in a secure coop and attached covered run. Silkies tend to go broody (sit on/hatch eggs) - many people keep them just for that reason. They accept confinement well, and are often kept as housepets. Please check out " People with house chickens thread." My friend has had house chickens - various breeds and number, for over 25 years - silkies are her favorites.

This is not meant to discourage but, to bring out their characteristics .

Tell your holdout kids to do research on silkies before they give you an ultimatum . Silkies are a favorite with kids, they are generally docile but, not great egg layers. Because they appear so different than regular chickens, they tend to get bullied and feather plucked. They are not a rugged breed that can take whatever nature hands out. Due to their big crests and beards their vision is obscured. They are not flyers but, can jump high. They are pretty much sitting ducks for most types of predators.

I would advise they be kept in a secure coop and attached covered run. Silkies tend to go broody (sit on/hatch eggs) - many people keep them just for that reason. They accept confinement well, and are often kept as housepets. Please check out " People with house chickens thread." My friend has had house chickens - various breeds and number, for over 25 years - silkies are her favorites.

This is not meant to discourage but, to bring out their characteristics .
Yes, agree and I am not getting a silkie. I dont want to add any problems since I am brand new to this. Maybe in the future. Also once those baby chickies come home they will fall head over heels Im sure. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom