Hi, one of my quail injured her foot, the others have digestive issues.

Vegetable Gardener

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2021
I am a new quail keeper, first time handling birds by myself. I had 36 eggs. 15 hatched, 1 died in process, the 10 died from diseases. I have only 4 chicks left now, and they are 6 weeks old now. I think they were born on June 23 or 24.
I saw mites, possibly even lice in their brooder, especially at night. I used to take them outside since they were about a week old (and it was warm). The two eldest used to love me. But I think they've been traumatized because of my mistakes, how one by one their friends kept dying. And they knew it was my fault, because I was the face they saw most often.
Every time I hold them up, especially to try to clean them, they struggle most of the time. The second born fell a few times, but he was okay (phew!). The first born just hurt her herself yesterday and all I was able to do for her is put her in her own 4 inch-diameter sand bowl next to the food and brought a water dish closer to her. She's terrified of me now to the point she has to limp away to the corner every time I try to take her.
Second born, the energetic one, has grey poop right now.
Third born, seems to love sleeping, has brown poop, and I suspect either coryza, coccidosis or tape worms (I let them free range sometimes). I did see stringy white stuff in her poop yesterday. I am giving them garlic water with apple cider vinegar. She doesn't drink unless I put her mouth in water ever, and I did have to literally spoon feed her water in the brooder a few times. She just dehydrates herself till she gets constipated and doesn't drink unless I initiate it.

Fourth born, the one who always seems to be sick, has puffy eyes most of the time, seems thirsty but doesn't really want to drink, I did see blood on his/her wing feathers and a lot of dryness. Feather development is pretty slow. Second born has slower development, but at least has hair/ some feathering now. Fourth born is usually bald and sick. Had coryza/coccidiosis a couple of times. I did my research, and while I have found some solutions, I can't get every advice I need by searching, and cannot buy many stuff. If I can please get advice on natural things, something I have in my home, like spices or vinegars or whatever, those would be best for me.

I give them the ACV and garlic water some times, and some times I forget and just give one separate. I always give them pure water. I did give them Sav-a-chick electrolyte in desperation because they seemed like they would die about two or three weeks ago. I gave them Sav-a-chick probiotics just once two times a day, and that is what introduced the coccidiosis to their bodies. Before I believe they only had a coryza problem. I haven't given them the probiotics since then. I have so much left, not sure what to do with it anymore.

Any tips on how to take care of them? They are living outside right now.

Back
Top Bottom