Hi there BYC!

pgstepaenk

Hatching
Apr 26, 2015
Hi there BYC enthusiasts! I am new to keeping chickens though I have wanted to do it for years now! My husband and I were finally able to put up a coop (which we ordered online and just assembled and painted ourselves) and build a run and now we have 3 little Peeps just waiting to get in there. We were going to go with larger birds but when we discovered the local feed had the specific breeds that we were interested in having, we decided it was worth getting them as chicks and raising them ourselves. We just got them today and I'm so excited to watch them grow! My 5 year old son is thrilled as well. The information on how to socialize chicks that I read on this site will hopefully help us through this first time process too.

Happy peeping!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How exciting for you and your family to be starting on your chicken adventure. Congratulations on your new chicks :celebrate I love raising chicks it's a super experience and lots of fun too. Watching them grow and develop their own personalities is very rewarding. Have you dropped by the learning centre? Lots of articles on getting started and keeping your birds safe, happy and healthy. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
Wishing you the very best of luck with yiur new chicks, be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

It's so nice when the whole family gets involved. When I was 5, the only animals I had were stuffed ones. My father said I had too many, so my mom, sister and aunt helped me sneak some into the house.

Glad you joined the flock. What breeds did you get? Any photos yet?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I love your avatar. Your son looks like he's enjoying himself. :eek:) Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Good morning and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What breed of chickens did you get? It's a lot of fun watching chicks grow (and they grow so fast). Nice to have the whole family involved.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Nice to have you join us!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Some of you asked about what breeds we got. Since we live in a suburban area of San Diego county, we got just 3 chicks but because there are so many cool and beautiful chickens all 3 are different! We got one Barred Rock (her name is Prissy, after the hen in Foghorn Leghorn cartoons), one copper Wyandotte (her name is Penny) and one light Brahma (her name is Wickee, who my son named Chicky Wicky but he decided Wickee for short would be good - he also chose the spelling, BTW!).

Since we brought the little gals home yesterday we can't help but wander in to the guest room where they are currently residing and looking in on them every few minutes. I have been reading and learning lots from the "learning center" and many forums on BYC so thanks for the resources and info!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on your new chicks! I'm sure your son is super happy about them! Little kids and chicks were just meant to be together!
big_smile.png

I like their names! Good luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom