Hi there Everyone! I'm new to chicken keeping and the wonderful forum :)

Hi Lyn and welcome

I'm still a bit of a newbie and I can sympathise with your initial "worry about anything and everything" mentality. Thankfully it does settle down sadly, so does the absolute thrill of finding eggs in the nest box.... wouldn't it be great if you could maintain that initial euphoria!!!

I've just got a couple of welsummer chicks that are coming up 4 weeks old. Over the past few days it has become increasingly obvious that one of them is a cockerel. Hey Ho! It could be worse, they could both be cocks. I have a mixed flock because I wanted bonny coloured eggs and the welsummers were hopefully going to add to the colour range.

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hello" and point you in the direction of a thread for those of us in the UK, in case you are interested in more localised issues and support. Will try to post the link but bear with me because I'm not very good with computers.

Best wishes

Barbara

Hi Barbara, many thanks for your lovely warm welcome. I tried to reply to yr message but for some reason it just quoted what you had put to me! I think I did something wrong!! Heyho have had five minutes to myself, so decided to check in the lovely backyardchickens!!
Just finished my check on the chickens, mealworms and corn distributed and one cuddle, to iris( which is the smallest, which had all the problems)! Although I've had a lot of initial problems, it has helped in the sense that at least I've managed to sort out most of the issues they've had.
Hope you've had a busy but happy couple of weeks. I'm going to try the link you sent me too! Will be nice to have localised support.
Welsummer's are lovely aren't they, although none of mine seem to want cuddles! Not sure if that's the breed or me doing something wrong? Mine are heading for 16/17 weeks now and all make chicken sounds instead of chirps! I've really enjoyed having growers much more than the first lot I bought as 1 yr olds and two at pol ( although one still doesn't lay so think there may be something wrong with. Are you going to keep the cockerel and breed some of your own? That's what I plan to do next year - just to keep my numbers up. I would like a couple of hybrids too
1f604.png
but not sure where I'd put them!!
Anyhoo, will have to start tea now, I can hear the lads coming back inside!!
Enjoy the rest of the wkend and take care

Best wishes
Lyn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom