Hi there!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lunachick99, Sep 12, 2014.

1. lunachick99

lunachick99 Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2014
    New to this scene. I got ten bantam chicks in June. Four have turned out to be boys. They're all happy and spoiled but I have a billion questions. Hope I've come to the right place. I'll post a few pics soon, looking for help identifying breeds. They're terribly adorable, that I know. Completely addicted to all that is chicken.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome. Glad you joined the flock. You sure have come to the right place for your billion questions every one here very friendly and informative. Look forward to seeing your pics heres the link for identifying breeds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this. I too am addicted to all that's chicken :cd

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Ditto, welcome!! So glad you joined us.[​IMG]

4. g67fam

g67fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome! If you ever need anything let us know!

5. lunachick99

lunachick99 Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2014
    Thanks for the kind welcome, y'all!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. We are all addicted to chickens here. I'm sorry 4 of your 10 bantams turned out to be roosters. You will either need to re-home some of roosters or else get a lot more hens to go with them. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters will be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and even potentially, seriously injuring them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely stop by our What Breed and Gender section for help with these things. And you might also have a look at our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new adventure you are on! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

9. mlwascom

mlwascom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2013
    Welcome, this site has lots of great info!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you don't plan on incubating chicks or selling fertile eggs, it's personal choice but, you don't NEED a rooster. The hens are usually happier without one and will continue to lay just as many eggs albeit non-fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by