Hi :)

That's one tough looking mama, if looks could kill - we'd all be six feet under. What is her temperament life when she isn't broody??
She will eat out of your hand, but not a overly friendly chicken. Even when not broody, though, you do not try to take her newly laid egg if she is still in the nesting box. She has drawn blood and left beak marks on my hand a few times. Lol
I've seen the Iowa Blue hens (not so much the roosters) go after the cats quite a few times. I have a barred rock hen that does the same, but she is an extremely independent hen. The Iowa Blues were hand raised and handled every day when younger. They just have that personality. They're not overly aggressive (except one of my roos that thinks he's a ninja and tries to sneak up on me to spur me), but they don't put up with anything. If a cat is in their personal space, they chase after it. Usually, they are ok with the pups, but I've seen them jump at the dog if one is just too close. Lol. My dogs know the chickens are off limits, so they just move away and sometimes roll in submission.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom