Hi!

BunnyTheChicky

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2017
Hello!
I currently have one hen. Her name is Bunny, and her breed is Easter Egger but she's probably a mix between several breeds. She had a sister, named Kitty, that was a Golden Sex Link. But unfortunately during the night a few months ago, they were attacked by something and she died. I received both hens as a birthday present since I had been begging for them. They were about 3 days old at the time. I'm hoping to get a young chick soon, so she won't be lonely. I live in the Orange County area in Southern California and the law only allows for 2 hens, so I won't be able to get a flock. My profile picture is Bunny at about a week or so of age. She is a little more than a year old now(she was born on Star Wars day) but she hasn't been laying consistently. I've been trying to make her less stressed, etc, so that might change. She lives in a coop(it's not really a coop, it's one of those baby/dog pens with 2 plastic boards covering the top) most of the time, and sometimes I let her free range during the day. I know it's not the ideal situation but it's the best I can do. It's placed in the shade of a tree. I feed her leftover cooked rice, grass, and crushed shells, I also give fruit and vegetable peel. I should be feeding her hen crumbles but her old bag rotted(water got in) and I haven't found the time to go to the feed store. I used to use Purina but if anyone knows a better brand, let me know. I also have a cat also a year old and she's actually scared of Bunny rather than the other way around, so there's no problems with that. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this site. Thank you for reading this long introduction!

Howdy! Glad you joined our flock. Chicks grow fast and if not fed properly they will quickly show signs of illness. Good luck!

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd recommend getting another pullet as a pal for your existing bird.

Best wishes
CT

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could join our community! Definitely get her on some poultry feed. Chickens have very high demands for nutrients and when they don't get what they need, they draw from their bodies.

Good luck with your girl and welcome to our roost! :)

Back
Top Bottom