Hi!

Msmamaof6

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2018
San Jose CA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am pretty new to having chickens. I got 3 hens that just started laying in September of last year. I lost one last month after she was scared by my daughter's puppy. 10 days ago I got 4 new chicks that were 2 days old.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 6

(3) What breeds do you have? My first 3 are a cross breed Long Island Red my chicks were unspecified. I got them at TSC during chick days.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Facebook

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Sewing, cooking

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am a mom of 6 kids (2 boys 4 girls). We have 5 cats, 2 dogs, 1 rabbit and now 6 chickens. I was diagnosed with MS 7 years ago. I stopped teaching full time and now I just homeschool my 2 youngest. We are trying to move out of California this year after my oldest daughter graduates from college. The plan is to move to N Idaho where my family is.

Welcome to Backyard chickens Ms.Mama, it's nice to meet you. If you post photos of you birds/chicks (6-8 weeks old) at "what breed or gender is this," the folks there will sort them out for you.
I know they are definitely female as they were sexed. This may not be the best since it was taken under the heat lamp.

Attachments

• 20180228_215020.jpg
    20180228_215020.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 1
Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could join our community! Enjoy your new babies. Definitely read up on mixing young birds with adults. Start the introductions from a cage at 3 months of age. After 3 weeks of adults seeing the babies, go ahead and mix them in. Put out more food and water stations as adults can guard these areas and starve them out. Cage any adults that cant get along for a while. It generally takes a few months to fully integrate new birds.

Welcome to our roost! :)

G’Day from down under Msmamaof6 :frow Welcome and congratulations on your new little ones! :clap

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom