Hi

Welcome to our flock :jumpy !

YOU are a lucky person! Are you starting with chicks? They will be your responsibility?

My advice is to HAVE A PLAN.
Know where these birds are going to live when they move out of your house, and have it ready before you think you’ll need it.

Can you visit other folks with chickens to get an idea of what the daily management looks like. Maybe have a mentor? Field trip!

And you love to read? You’re in the right place.

Good luck. And remember, you can always find advice on BYC!
We are going to buy a coop me and my mom want 6 chickens but, my dad can only find a coop with enough room for 5 chickens. We are going to put the coop out side and the brooder box in our garage. My mom and dad will help me take care of them as chicks but when they are chickens it will be mostly my responsibility. Does anyone have name suggestions I am thinking about naming one Opal? Does anyone know a good way to make a brooder box?

-BYC-sign-flash.gif
Walmart tote bin (Big one) they can stay in until they get fully feathered, or able to jump out of it. Clean, dry, shavings, and a brooder hotplate (not a heat lamp) and use chick starter feed! Makes for happy hens!:)

Better to have more room per bird than less. 5 will give you plenty of opportunity to know the birds individually, and believe me, they WILL be individuals!

Opal is a great chicken name. My first ever, best RIR was named Rosie and you are welcome to borrow. It will be a little tricky telling them apart when all are the same breed but there may be little nuances that make that possible. (Colored zip ties are my solution.) And then, once you start seeing the differences even tho they may look identical, you will find their names just kind of come to you.🤗

Hi and welcome to BYC! We're glad you joined us! :frow When it comes to the coop and run, bigger is always better. Most pre-built coops WAY over exaggerate the number of chickens they can house. Crowded conditions can lead to feather picking, and all sorts of other problems. Maybe suggest to your dad the idea of building a coop instead of buying one. :)

I’m new here. I am getting Rhode Island Red chicks soon. Me and my family are raising them for eggs. I love to red. Due to COVID I’m doing online school, because of this I have so much extra time so I convinced my parents to get chickens. I’m a Hoosier if you don’t know what that is Google it. I have a dog who is part beagle part lab. I think he would eat our chickens Please give me advice I’m a new chicken owner and I need advice.
Advice? Be prepared for a very fun adventure. Chickens are hilarious! Getting eggs from them is the least of the fun, and that in itself is a lot of fun. Welcome!

I agree about the premade coop. I bought the biggest I could find (23" x 28", not including the nest box), because hubby was not excited about chickens and was not going to build one! I have 3 pullets, and I can already see that it will be a tight fit once they're grown. When this breaks down, I will be building one myself, if I have to!

Back
Top Bottom