Hi!

few50704

Chirping
Sep 8, 2020
St. Louis, Missouri
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am! I first got chickens a couple months ago after a lot of research.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have four chickens at the moment, sadly I’ve had two pass away from Marek’s, despite being vaccinated.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have a red sex linked, a barred rock, and two silkie/brahma crosses.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They all have completely different personalities and are so interesting to watch. I’ve never had birds before so it’s a completely new experience for me.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I have many pets, but what I am passionate about is horse back riding. I own two horses and compete in hunter/jumper.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have a ball python, two dogs, two horses, a donkey, four barn cats, two pet rats, saltwater fish, chickens (obviously xD), and two house rabbits!

As I said before, two of my chickens have passed from Marek’s. I know there isn’t much else I can do other than pray not all of my others suffer the same fate. I am going to try a mix of colloidal silver and saint john’s wart, which some people swear by. (Check our the story of Penelope the Chicken). What a terrible disease. Breaks my heart. :(

Attachments

• B1B9ACF0-ECF7-44D8-8629-B6F23DABD5BD.jpeg
    B1B9ACF0-ECF7-44D8-8629-B6F23DABD5BD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 3E7DAFFB-1874-4FA1-A8A5-5839F5654AA2.jpeg
    3E7DAFFB-1874-4FA1-A8A5-5839F5654AA2.jpeg
    784.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 64333F1C-E105-4375-9F27-95E087A7A374.jpeg
    64333F1C-E105-4375-9F27-95E087A7A374.jpeg
    675.1 KB · Views: 0
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
A necropsy report confirmed Marek's? What kind was it?
They were not, I really don’t have the money for anything like that, but a vet looked at them as well and it was almost certainly Marek’s. They would start limping, then paralysis set in, they just fell over and couldn’t stand up, their legs were one forward one back.

Hi and welcome! So sorry to hear about your birds. We had a loss that was attributed to overeating/fatty liver, but she had some signs of Marecks and from what we heard from the vet if they are stressed and something is off the Marecks that exists pretty much everywhere will gain a foothold. Our girl was vaccinated too, but the overeating put a lot of stress on her and she had the typical lesions developing at necropsy. Just food for thought. I had to really take a hard look at the way we did things after that. It was our first flock too.
All that being said, welcome again! I was a lurker for a long time, but have benefited so much from becoming a member!

Hi and welcome! So sorry to hear about your birds. We had a loss that was attributed to overeating/fatty liver, but she had some signs of Marecks and from what we heard from the vet if they are stressed and something is off the Marecks that exists pretty much everywhere will gain a foothold. Our girl was vaccinated too, but the overeating put a lot of stress on her and she had the typical lesions developing at necropsy. Just food for thought. I had to really take a hard look at the way we did things after that. It was our first flock too.
All that being said, welcome again! I was a lurker for a long time, but have benefited so much from becoming a member!
Hi!! That’s interesting. I looked into what overeating could do awhile ago as well but I strayed away from the idea because I’m pretty careful with how much I feed and I watch my chickens a lot of the day (because of my slight addiction to them) and they really don’t seem to be eating a ton- maybe even less than they should. But possibly! I’ll keep an eye on that. It’s all new to me so I appreciate the info.

Hi!! That’s interesting. I looked into what overeating could so as well but I strayed away from the idea because I’m pretty careful with how much I feed and I watch my chickens a lot of the day (because of my slight addiction to them) and they really don’t seem to be eating a ton- maybe even less than they should. But possibly! I’ll keep an eye on that.
Yeah, they are so young I think your instincts are right on. It could be something like the feed they have isn't balanced right, or the heat is high and they are stressed. I have the same addiction as you, it's just really relaxing! Our gal that died was almost a year old, she was a Buff orp in Phoenix, AZ. The vet said it could have been a combination of heat stress, overeating, potentially a slight vitamin deficiency from the constant drinking and panting. Just lots of variables, you know? You sound very aware of your girls' habits, which is so awesome :).

Back
Top Bottom