Hi!

hayangel

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2023
I have been enjoying BYC on FB, but just joined. We have had chickens off and on for 30 years, but always wanting to learn more. Currently, we have 17 chickens of varying breeds - I haven't purchased any of my current flock - the adults have mostly come from the local animal shelter (people get them as 'pets', then apparently turn them loose. Others have come from locals who are getting out of raising chickens. I call my chicken area 'Angel's Home for Wayward Chickens'. I have only 7 adults now, as I thinned out my rooster population. The remaining 10 are ones that friends hatched and gave me, so I have had them from 2 days old, and all survived. They appear to be all hens, so that's good! They are almost 4 months old now. They free range durning the day, but are in the coops at night. We have 4 dogs who keep critters out, which helps keep the population good. Except the squirrels - they love the corn in their feed and the dogs ignore them! . I am looking now to begin growing at least a good portion of our feed and treats for next winter, including corn, pumpkins, squash, safflower, sunflowers, etc. Then, we have farmers nearby who will sell me 50 lbs of wheat and other grains for little or nothing that I will grind and mix. I look forward to learning from all of you!

I have been enjoying BYC on FB, but just joined. We have had chickens off and on for 30 years, but always wanting to learn more. Currently, we have 17 chickens of varying breeds - I haven't purchased any of my current flock - the adults have mostly come from the local animal shelter (people get them as 'pets', then apparently turn them loose. Others have come from locals who are getting out of raising chickens. I call my chicken area 'Angel's Home for Wayward Chickens'. I have only 7 adults now, as I thinned out my rooster population. The remaining 10 are ones that friends hatched and gave me, so I have had them from 2 days old, and all survived. They appear to be all hens, so that's good! They are almost 4 months old now. They free range durning the day, but are in the coops at night. We have 4 dogs who keep critters out, which helps keep the population good. Except the squirrels - they love the corn in their feed and the dogs ignore them! . I am looking now to begin growing at least a good portion of our feed and treats for next winter, including corn, pumpkins, squash, safflower, sunflowers, etc. Then, we have farmers nearby who will sell me 50 lbs of wheat and other grains for little or nothing that I will grind and mix. I look forward to learning from all of you!
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom