Hi

Thanks for the welcomes, all of you! Think I'm gonna love this forum!

Right now I have two Buff Orpington hens, two Mille Fleur hens, one bantam hen and her daughter/son, not sure yet what it is! Hope it's a rooster, but who knows! I have two Blue Wyandotte and their white-with-blue-speckled sisters (they look like Wyandotte7's hen!) who lay pale blue-green eggs! (adorable!) I have some black frizzled silkie babies and some more babies (like Kelsie2290's) that I just got yesterday at Tractor Supply...including 6 bantams, 2 buff Orpington pullets, and 2 black babies...not sure what they are! And one more...a two year old rose-combed speckled Wyandotte who was the first hen I just acquired last spring, Penelope.

I have a fenced in chicken area with two small houses...one with a caged area around the bottom that I am going to keep the babies in when it gets warm enough to put them outside. If it ever stops snowing!!!

Oh, and I also have two roosters, one is blue with a rose-comb and one is white with a huge red comb. They are the hatch-mates of the blue and white hens, and the mother of them all is Penelope!

As you can see, I have no idea what chicken math means! Or maybe I choose to ignore it, lol I do live in the country though...have a huge yard with not too many predators! Had one hawk take my little Mille Fleur rooster (and he looked just like "Mymillefleur's rooster!) and I am still heartbroken over that! But if I can get them in runs and get it covered over the area, I hope to eliminate that problem.

So.....sorry for the novel, but as you can see, I am also "chicken obsessed!"

Thanks again for the welcomes and I can't wait to explore all the posts in this group!

~~Anne~~
frow.gif

Thanks for the welcomes, all of you! Think I'm gonna love this forum!

Hope it's a rooster, but who knows!

Oh, and I also have two roosters, one is blue with a rose-comb and one is white with a huge red comb. They are the hatch-mates of the blue and white hens, and the mother of them all is Penelope!
Be careful about the number of roosters you end up with. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. Good luck with your flock.

Well....thing is I have two roosters for my large hens who run loose, but I don't have a rooster for my bantams, only 4 of them...who are in the enclosure. I don't allow the large roosters access to the little ones, and also, I didn't think even if they could mate with them, that it would be wise since they are so little!

Back
Top Bottom