Hiccup/cough/sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jolly wattles, May 22, 2017.

1. jolly wattles

jolly wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2017
    West Tennessee
    My 2 white leghorns have been sneezing. Today I come home and 1 is all dirty and rough looking and both are making that hiccup sound and sneezing. We have no mites and they have acv in water , DE in food and beeding. They both eat and drink. Still lay everyday. No other girls are doing it. What's the deal?

2. WynnFamilyFarms

WynnFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    Mississippi
    Mine do the same. Following.

jolly wattles likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would remove the DE since it does nothing in the food to prevent worms, becoming worthless when wet inside the body, and it can be dangerous to breathe. A respiratory disease called infectious bronchitis can cause snicking or sneezing, and it can spread throughout the flock over several weeks, lasting around a month in each sick chicken. It usually does not cause the wheezing, gunky swollen eyes that some respiratory diseases cause, and is the most common respiratory disease. Usually adult chickens tolerate it well without much trouble, although it can cause a decrease in laying. Young chicks and juveniles may become more ill or die. IB is caused by a virus, and antibiotics will not help. It can be complicated by bacterial secondary infections if symptoms appear worse, and an antibiotic such as injectable Tylan 50 might then help.

4. jolly wattles

jolly wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2017
    West Tennessee
    OK so what causes ib? What can I do? Is it from the DE?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by