Hidden Forest Coop

Vehve, thanks, this is the first time I've built anything on a slope like this so I'm definitely learning. You're right. I had a good rain since I got to this point and a lot of water ended up flowing down the side of the hill into the coop. Now I understand all the people who have houses on the sides of hills complaining about water in their basements.
The best way would of been clearing 1-2 feet further above the coop, and putting in a waterproof barrier on the outside of the foundation, with gravel outside of that. But something V shaped above will work nicely too.

The roof on this end has an extra couple feet on it. The extra overhang will protect the (kind-of) external nesting boxes that extend 12" out from the normal size of a GardenCoop. I'm putting 3-4 nesting boxes along the bottom of the bump-out and the top will be a little storage cabinet. I'm using a bunch of leftover OSB plywood from another project that I'd already sealed with a clear finish.

The center of this wall will be the clean out door that empties into the run and the chicken door will be on the right side of this wall.

As part of the GardenCoop design, all the interior panels (including the coop floor) can be removed for extra cleaning if needed. There will be lots of light in the coop.

Last edited:
The roof on this end has an extra couple feet on it. The extra overhang will protect the (kind-of) external nesting boxes that extend 12" out from the normal size of a GardenCoop. I'm putting 3-4 nesting boxes along the bottom of the bump-out and the top will be a little storage cabinet. I'm using a bunch of leftover OSB plywood from another project that I'd already sealed with a clear finish.

The center of this wall will be the clean out door that empties into the run and the chicken door will be on the right side of this wall.

As part of the GardenCoop design, all the interior panels (including the coop floor) can be removed for extra cleaning if needed. There will be lots of light in the coop.

Check out my coop page for inspiration for the nest boxes and storage space, mine is working pretty nicely, although be sure to be able to reach everything in the cabinet.

Check out my coop page for inspiration for the nest boxes and storage space, mine is working pretty nicely, although be sure to be able to reach everything in the cabinet.
Great job on your coop. I'm glad I don't have to prepare for such a harsh winter. I'm going to have to review your coop carefully. I see a few ideas to borrow.

To help with the water problem put a gutter on the back side of the run, with a downspout connected to a pipe leading the water away from the coop.

Back
Top Bottom